- Makes 1
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 12 Ingredients
This caterpillar platter was a great hit at daycare as it contained a little bit of everything. Kids were able to pick at it and eat what they like. It was gone pretty fast!
Ingredients (makes 1 platter)
- 3 loaves Wholemeal Bread
- 1 packet Light sliced cheese
- 1 Lettuce
- 1 Celery
- 1 Apple
- 1 Carrot
- Small bag Sultanas
- 200 mg Devon meat
- 200 mg ham meat
- 200 mg chicken meat
- 2 toothpicks
- 1 round cutter
- Prepare the night before if you are using for a morning tea the next day. Using your round cutter, cut out bread. You can use different sizes of cutters, some bread you can get 3 or even 4 circles per piece of bread. You can cut multiple pieces of bread at the same time. Put bread in a sealed container lined upwards so they don't fall over.
- Wash your cutter and dry and move onto fillings - use the next size down cutter to cut the cheese. Do the same as the bread. Put in sealed container and in the fridge.
- Wash your cutter and dry and move onto the different meats. Do each meat separately and wash between each type. Put in sealed container and in the fridge.
- Clean the lettuce and rip apart with hands. Put in container in the fridge. Note - you can do this the day of the event depending on other tasks.
- Peel the carrots and cut them up into strips of around 5cm long. Try to keep them the same length as they are the legs of the caterpillar. Put in sealed container and in the fridge.
- Wash the celery and cut them up into bite size pieces. Try to keep them the same size as they are also legs. Put in a sealed container and in the fridge.
- Morning of set up: To make the head - Cut apple in half and using a sharp knife, cut squares out for eyes the size of a carrot cube x 2. Push into place. Cut squares out for smile the size of a thin piece of celery. Push into place. Spike the 2 toothpicks into the top of the apple. Stab with sultanas for ears. Note - you can do the sultanas first before pushing them into the apple as this might be easier.
- Put lettuce on the platter. Assemble each sandwich with a variety of cheese and meats. Add to platter starting at the middle and working your away around. Once the platter is full, add the head to the top. Poke carrot and celery in as legs all the way around - carrot, celery, carrot, celery etc etc. Sprinkle with sultanas over the top. Cover with cling wrap well. Put back in fridge until you are ready to head out.
A teacher at my work (hospitality teacher) dared me to make something a little more exciting than the usual sandwich platter full of triangle sandwiches. I was lucky to have her professional circle cutters that ranged in size from tiny to large. I was really proud of myself as it was outside my comfort zone.