- Makes 14
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 16 Ingredients
Crispy outside, creamy potato on the inside and gooey cheese in the middle…whats not to love about these Cheesy Potato Balls! Great as a side or even as a meal on their own with some salad, the whole family will thank you for making these!
Ingredients (makes 14 balls)
- 4 Potatoes, peeled (use ones that are good for a creamy mash)
- 50g Sweetcorn
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 TBS Chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 1/2 TBS Cornflour
- Garlic powder
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
- Salt & pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 TBS Cornflour
- 3 TBS Plain flour
- 1/3 cup Water (add more or less if needed)
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until really soft. In a big bowl mash potatoes with a fork until smooth and no big lumps are left
- Once mashed add salt, black pepper, cheddar cheese, sweet corn, parsley, chives, garlic powder, dried oregano and cornflour. Mix everything well. Check the taste and add more salt or black pepper if required.
- Take about one tablespoon of the potato mixture and shape it into a ball then flatten it. In the center add some grated mozzarella cheese and carefully close it into a ball. Make sure to completely enclose the mozzarella in the ball. Repeat the process with the rest of the potato mixture.
- In a small bowl add cornflour, flour and gradually add water. With the help of a spoon mix everything into a smooth batter. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Dip each potato ball first in the batter and then roll into the breadcrumbs making sure it's all covered.
- Heat oil and once ready, slide the cheese balls gently into the hot oil and fry on medium heat. Turn a couple of times using a slotted spoon to ensure an even golden brown colour
- Once golden brown remove from the oil and transfer onto a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Serve warm with sweet chili sauce
These are best eaten straight away, but are also delicious the next day cold, so great for lunchboxes or work lunch