- Serves 4
- 80 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
This delicious winter soup is hearty and healthy.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1L (4 cups) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1.2kg whole chicken
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 70g spaghetti pasta
- Place stock and 2 cups (500ml) water in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Add chicken, breast-side down. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl. Strain stock into a large bowl or jug. Discard solids. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin from chicken. Shred meat from bones. Discard bones. Skim fat from stock using a metal spoon and paper towels.
- Heat oil in same cleaned saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek has softened. Add reserved stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, or until just tender. Drain. Using kitchen scissors, cut pasta into 3cm lengths. Remove bay leaf from soup and discard. Add pasta and shredded chicken to soup and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve.