- Serves 4
- 1.5 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 7 Ingredients
You can easily make this custard cake gluten free by using gluten free flour and icing sugar.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 eggs whites separated, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 125 g butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (lukewarm)
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to approx 180 degrees and grease an 8 x 8 inch dish.
- Separate eggs and add the whites to a mixer and beat until stiff. Then place in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light. Add the butter and vanilla then beat for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated. Slowly start adding millk and beat until everything is well mixed.
- Add the egg whites a third at a time and gently fold in with a spatula, repeat until all egg whites are folded in.
- Pour batter into a baking dish (will be quite wet) and bake for approximately 60 minutes or until the top is lightly golden.
- Cool and then dust heavily with icing sugar.