- Serves 14
- Makes 14
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
Little Donut Cakes are the perfect little treat if you feel like donuts but you don’t have a donut maker.
If you’re not a fan of cooking with large amounts of oil on the stovetop you’ll also love this recipe for Little Donut Cakes. Just like a donut but cooked just like cupcakes in the oven!
When most people think of a donut cake, they are probably thinking of a special occasion. If you have a birthday coming up, it’s fun to buy a box of donuts (like Krispy Kreme donuts). Then take a large platter and make a donut cake tower – start with a wide base of 7 donuts and then continue to stack. Reduce the number of donuts in each layer until you get to 1.
So you would have 7 on the bottom layer of your donut cake, then 5, then 3 and then 1.
Others like to keep their donut cake symmetrical and have the same number of donuts on each layer. To top off your donut cake all you need to do is drizzle with the topping of your choice, add some sprinkles and then top with candles.
Voila! Your donut cake is ready very quickly and serving each party guest is so easy!
So that’s all great if you’re having a party. But you’re not going to do that for the day when you and the kids just want a quick little sweet treat for morning tea. That’s where this MoM Member Recipe from Isabeau for Little Donut Cakes is divine.
Her donut cakes are quick, simple and you probably have everything you need already in your pantry and fridge.
Thanks Isabeau! We love your Little Donut Cakes recipe.
Once you’ve had your own Little Donut Cake, we’d love to know what you think of this recipe. Did it give you that true donut flavour? Was it an easy recipe? Let us know in the comments below.
Ingredients (serves 14 | makes 14 cupcakes)
- 1 3/4 cups Plain Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/3 cup Canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup White sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup separate white sugar (for coating)
- 1/4 tsp separate cinnamon (for coating)
- 1.2 cup melted butter (for coating)
- Combine Dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl .
- Add liquids to dry mix and combine well. Spoon mix into prepared cupcake liners in tin.
- Bake at 180c for 20 minutes
- While cupcakes are baking prepare sugar coating by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. While cupcake are still hot dip the tops into the melted butter and then into the sugar coating.