For those eggplant and zucchini fans this is a wonderfully colourful appetiser for a barbecue, but really these rolls are so easy and tasty that you might find you’ll make them often.
For these delicious Eggplant and Zucchini Rolls you can also try goat’s cheese instead of the bocconcini, or leave the cheese out altogether if you’re avoiding dairy.
Eggplant and Zucchini Rolls Ingredients
(Makes about 16 double rolls)
- 2 large eggplants, sliced length-ways into 1cm strips
- 4 zucchini, sliced length-ways into 1cm strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large buffalo mozzarella balls or 1 cup bocconcini balls, cut or torn into thin strips, or 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 8 anchovies (optional)
- cracked black pepper, to serve
Sunflower seed pesto
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- sea salt
Eggplant and Zucchini Rolls Method
- Put the eggplant and zucchini in a large bowl, add the oil and toss to coat well.
- Cook the eggplant and zucchini on a hot grill or in a large frying pan until golden on both sides.
- Allow to cool a little.
- To make the sunflower seed pesto, blitz together the sunflower seeds, basil, garlic, oil and salt in a food processor until fairly smooth.
- Spread about ½ teaspoon of the pesto on each vegetable slice, place an anchovy on top, and follow with a strip of cheese.
- Roll up each vegetable slice and serve on a platter.
- You may need to use a toothpick to keep the roll together.
- Finish with cracked pepper.
*Note: You can also layer the eggplant and zucchini, as we’ve done in the photo. Place a slice of zucchini on a piece of eggplant, then add the pesto, an anchovy and a strip of cheese and roll up.