- Difficulty Easy
For those eggplant and zucchini fans this is a wonderfully colourful appetiser for a barbecue, but really these rolls are so easy and tasty that you might find you’ll make them often.
Eggplant and Zucchini Rolls Ingredients
(Makes about 16 double rolls)
- 2 large eggplants, sliced length-ways into 1cm strips
- 4 zucchini, sliced length-ways into 1cm strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large buffalo mozzarella balls or 1 cup bocconcini balls, cut or torn into thin strips, or 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 8 anchovies (optional)
- cracked black pepper, to serve
Sunflower seed pesto
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- sea salt
Eggplant and Zucchini Rolls Method
- Put the eggplant and zucchini in a large bowl, add the oil and toss to coat well.
- Cook the eggplant and zucchini on a hot grill or in a large frying pan until golden on both sides.
- Allow to cool a little.
- To make the sunflower seed pesto, blitz together the sunflower seeds, basil, garlic, oil and salt in a food processor until fairly smooth.
- Spread about ½ teaspoon of the pesto on each vegetable slice, place an anchovy on top, and follow with a strip of cheese.
- Roll up each vegetable slice and serve on a platter.
- You may need to use a toothpick to keep the roll together.
- Finish with cracked pepper.
*Note: You can also layer the eggplant and zucchini, as we’ve done in the photo. Place a slice of zucchini on a piece of eggplant, then add the pesto, an anchovy and a strip of cheese and roll up.