- Serves 8
- Makes 4
- 1.25 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
Once you’ve tried this really simple focaccia bread recipe, there’s no fear you’ll be short on delicious little loaves for dipping, toasting and topping.
Some recipes for focaccia bread can get a little tricky but this one is so simple!
Where was Focaccia first made?
Many historians believe that focaccia was born in North Central Italy in the days before the Roman Empire. Or long before that in Ancient Greece at the beginning of the first millennium.
Focaccia typically has a moist texture. It is typically baked but some do like to fry their focaccia in oil.
Tips for Amazing Focaccia Bread.
- Work your dough – at first kneading give your focaccia bread a really good go. Knead for at least 5 minutes to remove air bubbles. Then chop it up into chunks and work again. We like to use a rolling pin to flatten out each little loaf.
- Don’t be afraid of a hot oven – your focaccia bread will be super happy covered in lovely Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil basking in a hot oven.
- Go heavy on the cheese and the seasoning – this focaccia bread will happily carry lots of cheese, olive oil, lashing of fresh herbs and salt. Go to town with the seasoning!
Our MoM Cook Club created this video to make following the recipe steps even easier! See our video here:
What do you think of this Focaccia Bread recipe? Do you think it’s going to the top of your Simple Recipes list?
Let us know in the comments below …
Bertolli is the world’s no. 1 olive oil brand. Bertolli Organic is a range of extra virgin olive oils from organically grown olives. There are three flavour intensities so you can enjoy extra virgin with any dish; Gentile with a mellow, rounded flavour that goes well with white fish and other light flavours, Fruity with a fruity note that works well in dressings, marinades or for bread dipping and Robusto which pairs well with red meat or when roasting or BBQing. Bertolli Organic extra virgin olive oil contains just crushed olives, nothing else. Extra virgin olive oil is rich in antioxidants. The Bertolli Organic range carry the Australian Certified Organic logo.
Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is available at Woolworths and selected IGA stores nationally.
Ingredients (serves 8 | makes 4 Loaves)
- 150ml Lukewarm Water
- 150ml Lukewarm Milk
- 3 tsp Dried Yeast
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt & Pepper
- 500g Bread Flour (a strong high protein flour)
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Tasty Cheese
- 4 tbsp Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Fruity Taste
- Extra for Garnish: Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Fruity Taste, Salt, Pepper
- Combine the milk and water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl, mix very gently and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flour, cheeses, salt, pepper and dried oregano in another bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour the olive oil into the milk/yeast mixture then add the flour. Mix into a dough and then turn this out onto a floured board or bench top. We use a dough hook on our mixer and mix for 6 minutes. If you do not have this, you can still make the dough by hand.
- Knead for at least 5 minutes then place into an oiled bowl and cover with a warm, damp, clean tea towel. Set in a really warm place for at least 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and give each piece a light knead and form into small ovals and flatten slightly.
- Use your fingers to create little dimples all over the top of the dough. Then drizzle olive oil all over (which will sit in the dimples), sprinkle with extra cheese, fresh herbs, salt and pepper and allow to sit for another half hour.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes (or until golden brown) in a hot oven (200 degrees celcius).
- Once out of the oven, drizzle a little more olive oil over the top, chop into squares or slices (or leave whole) and enjoy!
If you like this Focaccia Bread with Cheese recipe, you might also like these other recipes we developed using Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil ...
- Roast Vegetable Salad - a host of Winter vegetables crisply roasted topped with a toasted sourdough crumb and a creamy garlic aioli.
- Chocolate Puddings - if you've never tasted a pudding made with olive oil, get ready for a flavour sensation. Rich, glossy and so simple!