- Makes 12
- Difficulty Easy
- 10 Ingredients
Anyone keen for a delicious juicy burger – with lettuce, tomato sauce and mustard? These hamburger cupcakes are a bit tricky – even though they look like a savoury, meaty meal, they’re actually disguised as a sweet treat.
Of course, no burger is complete without salty chips. Accompany your hamburger cupcakes with shortbread ‘chips’ dusted with sugar – they’re melt-in-the-mouth and super moreish. YUM!
My kids adored getting involved and making these hamburger cupcakes with me. They decided what ‘toppings’ they wanted and then had the chance to each put together their own hamburger creation. They got to practise playing around with colours and then piping with icing.
Making these hamburger cupcakes are not difficult at all but do take a bit of time if you would like to make all the base ingredients from scratch. You can however use packet mixes and ready made icing to save time, if you wish. They’ll still taste delicious.
Feel free to go crazy on creativity and add your own toppings and condiments to your burgers. My kids weren’t keen on sesame seeds but you can always add these to the top of the cupcakes for more authentic looking buns. You could also cut a thin square piece of yellow fondant to make a slice of ‘cheese’.
We made both regular-sized and mini hamburger cupcakes. The kids actually preferred the mini ones as the regular ones were really substantial. So if you’re going to make these for a kids party, I recommend making the mini hamburger cupcakes.
The Base Ingredients You Will Need Include:
- Vanilla Cupcakes – we made both regular sized ones and mini cupcakes. You can use this Vanilla Cupcakes recipe as your base or you can buy the packet mix
- Brownies – this is a delicious brownie recipe or you can use a packet mix
- Buttercream Icing – follow the recipe below. You will need to colour your buttercream with edible food colouring.
- Sugar Cookie Dough – we love this sugar cookie recipe
Then the fun begins….Assembling the hamburger cupcakes is the best part – besides eating them of course. Yum Yum!
Ingredients (makes 12 Cupcakes)
- 12 baked cupcakes (mini or regular) Prepared according to recipe above or using a packet mix
- 1 tray baked chocolate brownies (Prepared according to recipe above or using a packet mix)
- 1 batch Sugar Cookie Dough (Prepared according to recipe above)
- BUTTERCREAM ICING INGREDIENTS
- 230g unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tp vanilla essence
- pinch salt
- edible food colouring (we used red, green and yellow)
- First prepare and bake your base ingredients. Make and bake the cupcakes and allow to cool. Make and bake the chocolate brownies and allow to cool.
- Make a batch of sugar cookies using the recipe above. Roll out the dough and cut strips to make chips - you can make these thick or thin depending on what kind of 'chips' you like. Once they are baked, leave them to cool for a few minutes. Then brush the cookie chips with water and sprinkle sugar or top, to make it look like salty chips. Put aside.
- To make the buttercream, beat the softened butter (ideally using an electric mixer) until creamy. Then add the icing sugar, vanilla essence, salt and milk and beat for about two minutes until smooth. Separate the buttercream into three bowls and add a drop or two of food colouring into each bowl of icing and mix well. We used red for tomato sauce, yellow for mustard and green for lettuce
- To assemble the hamburger cupcakes: Slice the cupcake in half along the middle to create the top and bottom of the bun. Place the bottom half on a plate and using a piping bag and nozzle, pipe some green icing on the cupcake bottom to make lettuce Then using a glass, with the similar size of the cupcake, as a stencil, cut out a circle of brownie and place this on top of the green icing. Then pipe some red icing and yellow icing on top of the brownie patty to make tomato sauce and mustard. Finally, finish off with the cupcake top.
- Serve with sugar cookie chips.