- Serves 24
- Makes 24
- 55 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 14 Ingredients
Delicious and cute, these cupcakes will blow your mind away. Loved by all ages and a great recipe to spice up a party or for a cheeky family treat!
Ingredients (serves 24 | makes 24 Cupcakes)
- 4 Eggs
- 2 3/4 Cup Plain Flour
- 400g Butter, softened
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 370g Caster Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk
- 8 Cup Icing Sugar
- 20g Powdered Gelatine
- 100g Fructose
- 1 Tablespoon Glycerine
- 900g Powdered Sugar
- 24 Cupcake Patty Cases
- Food Colouring Pink & Green (Or your choice of colour)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place cupcake patty cases into two muffin trays.
- Combine and sift flour and baking powder into large bowl.
- Place 200g or 1/2 butter amount in separate bowl and cream with electric mixer on low-med for 2 minutes. Add caster sugar in three stages continuing to cream for 2 minutes in between.Beat until combined and sugar is nearly dissolved. The mixture should appear light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time to mixture, beating 1 minute after each or until light and fluffy. Add half or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extra and beat until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add 1/3 flour to mixture, beat on low until mixture becomes consistent. Add 1/2 cup of milk and beat until combined. Repeat process.
- Add leftover plain flour and gently combine ingredients. Do not over mix as the mixture will begin to toughen.
- Spoon mixture evenly over 24 cupcake patty cases.
- Place into oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. Check center of cakes with skewer before removing from oven, as a clean skewer will determine that the cupcakes are cooked all the way through.
- Leave to cool for 3-4minutes. Remove and place cupcakes onto baking tray to continue to cool for a further 20-30minutes.
- ICING - Cream remaining butter (200g) for 2 minutes on moderate speed. Sift and add 4 cups icing sugar to mixture.
- Add remaining milk, tablespoon vanilla extra. Beat 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Sift remaining icing sugar and add to mixture. Beat for further 3 minutes.
- Fondant - Dissolve gelatine in 50ml cold water, stand for 2-3 minutes. Combine fructose with 20ml water in saucepan. Place on heat and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds, remove from heat.
- Add gelatine into mixture with glycerine. Add mixture to half amount of powered sugar. Gently combine.
- Add rest of powered sugar gradually, combining ingredients as you go. Place on dry, clean surface, add colour of your choice and knead until a consistent texture. Leave to sit for 30 minutes before using.
- Create flowers or artistic shapes of your choice by using a hot knife to make your cut out. Forks and other kitchen utensils are also great ways to create pattern the fondant. Use your imagination!
These were our treats from nan when we were kids and now my kids love them too! They're full of fun and the kids are always excited to see a new colour or decorative shape on top! A great party idea too!