Surprise your Valentine with this hidden heart cake. It looks like a normal chocolate cake until it's cut – revealing a perfect heart in the middle!
Ingredients (makes 1 Loaf size cake)
- FOR THE HEART PART OF THE CAKE
- 1 Egg
- 63g Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup SR flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- Pink food colouring
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 2 Eggs
- 125g Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 cups SR flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 3 TBS Cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Icing sugar do decorate the finished cake
- To make the heart part; combine the egg, butter, sugar, flour, milk, vanilla and food colouring (to your desired colour) together in a small bowl using an electric mixer on low. Once all combined, beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Line a small slice tin with baking paper and pour the cake into the tin to make a thin layer. Bake in a 180 degree oven for approximately 7-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It wont take long to cook because it’s so thin, so keep an eye on it
- Once cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool down completely. When it’s cooled, using a small heart shaped cutter, cut enough hearts from it to reach the length of a loaf tin. Set aside.
- To make the chocolate part of the cake, mix all the remaining ingredients) together in a small bowl using an electric mixer on low. Once all combined, beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of the mix into a lined loaf tin, then carefully stand the hearts up in a line the length of the tin. This part is tricky, and while you can do it yourself, it helps if someone is around to help you put them in.
- Pour the remaining chocolate cake mix carefully over the top of the hearts covering them completely.
- Bake in a moderate oven for between 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. When cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack
Store in an air tight container for up to 4 days. Can be frozen if wrapped well