A healthy, easy, homemade falafel recipe for any time snack/lunch.
Ingredients (serves 3 | makes 10 balls)
- 1 cup Dry chickpeas
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 Green chilli
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander and mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Cloves garlic
- Soak chickpeas in water and add baking soda. Keep it for overnight or at least 5-6 hours.
- Next day wash the Chickpeas with clean water make sure all the baking soda is washed off.
- In a grinder put chickpeas, coriander, onion, red chilli powder,salt, garlic cloves and add water little by little while grinding. It should come up as a fine paste a bit thick not runny in consistency.
- Form it in a ball shape or scoop up in spoon and fry. One cup will make approx 9-10 falafel depending on their size. Eat it with any dip or sauce or you can make a falafel wrap.
This recipe is my husband's favourite, he love falafel and it is not easy to find falafel here in Perth so I decided to make my own falafels and now its been 5 years I am making it and my husband really loves it. I make falafel wrap and with salad I always add boiled egg because this is the traditional way of serving falafels.