- Serves 6
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 13 Ingredients
The beauty of this minestrone dish is that it gets better with age. It always tastes better when you’re enjoying the leftovers the following day!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 1 clove Garlic (diced)
- 1/2 tsp Basil (dried)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (dried)
- 1/2 tsp Thyme (dried)
- 1 stick Celery (diced)
- 125g Bacon (diced)
- 1 tin Diced tomatoes (400g)
- 8 cups Chicken stock
- 1 tin Red kidney beans (400g), rinsed and drained
- 100g Spaghetti (broken into pieces)
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
Notes... I regularly change up the beans I add to this soup, depending on what I have handy in the pantry. Chickpeas, four bean mix, butter beans, borlotti beans and cannellini beans all work just as well. And using fresh herbs in place of the dried ones always add that extra flavour punch too. Leave out the bacon and use vegetable stock for a vegetarian version of this family favourite.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and cook the onion until translucent (approx. 5 mins).
- Add the garlic, herbs, bacon and celery, and cook until the mixture starts to brown (5-10 mins).
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the spaghetti (or other pasta of choice) and cook according to packet directions (approx. 10 mins).
- Add the kidney beans and heat through.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.