- Serves 4
- 75 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 23 Ingredients
This Mediterranean vegetable and macadamia pizza is sure to be a hit on any dinner table.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- PIZZA DOUGH
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- pinch of caster sugar
- 4 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil, plus extra for brushing
- MACADAMIA PESTO
- 300g semi-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp macadamia oil
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted macadamias
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1-2 Tbsp of the semi-dried tomato oil
- PIZZA TOPPING
- macadamia oil for brushing
- 2/3 cup 2/3 cup macadamia pesto
- 2 large red capsicums, roasted, skin removed and cut into strips
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, thinly sliced lengthways
- 180g bocconcini
- 1/2 cup unsalted macadamias
- 80g rocket leaves
- pepper, for seasoning
- TO MAKE THE PIZZA DOUGH: Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Brush a bowl with oil. Add dough. Turn to coat. Cover with a damp tea towel. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size. Punch down dough with your fist.
- Knead for 30 seconds or until dough is original size. Split the dough into quarters. Cover 3 portions with a damp tea towel. Roll out the other portion to 30cm long and 10-12cm wide.
- Use your fingers to press the base, avoiding the edge, to make indents. This stops it rising in the centre. Repeat with remaining dough.
- TO MAKE THE PESTO: Place the semi-dried tomatoes and macadamia oil in a blender and process until smooth. Add macadamias, chopped rosemary and semi-dried tomato oil - start with 1 Tablespoon first then if still dry add 1 more. Pulse until the macadamias are chopped roughly and a pesto consistency is achieved.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE PIZZA: Preheat a chargrill on high heat. Lightly brush eggplant and zucchini with macadamia oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan-forced. Place pizza bases on baking trays. Spread a thin layer of pesto over each. Top with grilled vegetables and capsicum. Tear the bocconcini into small pieces and place on top of the vegetables.
- Place the pizzas into the pre-heated oven and bake for 7-10 minutes. Add the macadamias and cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until bases are crisp. Remove to a board, slice. Top with rocket and season with pepper. Serve.
This recipe is courtesy of The Australian Macadamia Society.