- Serves 8
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 16 Ingredients
Homemade Bolognese sauce which packs a punch in flavour. An added twist using spinach lasagne sheets. A great way to hide some veggies and as one of my children is low in iron, it’s also a fantastic way to hide some spinach, not to mention they love that their lasagne has colour.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 600g Fresh Spinach Pasta Sheets *See step one
- 1 TBLS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Large White Onions - chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic - chopped or 2 TSP minced garlic
- 2 Stalks Celery - chopped finely
- 4 Carrots - chopped finely
- 2 TBLS Italian Herbs (or to taste)
- 1kg Mince Meat
- 100g Tomato Pureé
- 800g Diced Tomatoes (canned is fine if you don't want to use fresh)
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- 100g Butter
- 120g Flour
- 2 Cups Milk (warmed)
- 500g Mozzarella Cheese - grated
- 150g Parmesan Cheese - grated
- Make your fresh spinach lasagne sheets. I have used the Philips Pasta and Noodle Maker. (2 cups of flour, 2 eggs + spinach juice (total liquid 190mls) I make spinach juice fresh, steam spinach until soft, blend in a food processor by adding a little bit of hot water as you blitz. Keep adding water until its a juice like consistency.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and Italian herbs with extra virgin olive oil, cook until onion is transparent. Add mince and cook until browned. When meat has browned add, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper. Leave to simmer and make Béchamel sauce.
- Béchamel Sauce: Melt butter slowly and add flour until it sticks together and looks dough like. Add milk (use warm milk) gradually, once combined well add half the mozzarella cheese whilst constantly stirring until thick.
- Once Bolognese has cooked/thickened layer your lasagne. Start with a thin layer of Bolognese, then cover with a layer spinach lasagne pasta sheets, add another layer of Bolognese, Béchamel sauce, spinach lasagne pasta sheets, Bolognese, Béchamel sauce, spinach lasagne pasta sheets and repeat finishing with Béchamel sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top. Bake in the over at 180 degrees for around 45 mins. To brown the top when done turn the griller on but watch closely so not to burn.
I make up a large amount of spinach juice and freeze in portions. If your little ones are sensitive to garlic I would recommend using Garlic Powder as its not a strong. If time poor, I cook the Bolognese and freeze it ready for use. Just make sure you defrost and warm the meat up before assembling your lasagne.