The Queen of Hearts, she made some tarts, all on a summer's day, the Knave of Hearts, he stole the tarts and took them clean away, the King of Hearts, called for the tarts and beat the knave full sore, the Knave of Hearts brought back the tarts and vowed he'd steal no more.
Preparation 20 minutes
Cooking 10 minutes
Ingredients (makes 12 )
- 275g packet frozen sweet tart cases
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 50g butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- few drops pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to hot, 200C. Arrange cases on a baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Cool. Remove foil cases and discard.
- FILLING. Spoon an even amount of jam into each shell. In a small bowl, combine icing sugar, condensed milk, butter and lemon juice. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Divide filling evenly between tart cases. Chill for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- ICING. Divide icing sugar evenly between two bowls. Add the cocoa to one bowl and combine. Gradually add half the water until the mixture is smooth and spreadable. Repeat with second bowl, remaining water and colouring. Spread chocolate icing over one half of each tart. Chill until set. Cover the other side of tarts with pink icing. Chill until set before serving.
Tip - If preferred, use homemade pastry and bake in small, shallow tart pans of choice. The pastry will need to be cooked all the way through before covering with filling, as it will not be baked again.