A traditional Filipino breakfast bun.
Ingredients (makes 30 bread buns)
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 sachet yeast
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup fresh milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- extra flour for kneading
- Add yeast to warm water. Stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and salt. Blend well then add yeast mixture.
- Add flour to make a moderate stiff dough. *Note: Check dough consistency before adding all flour. Dough should be moderate to stiff and elastic.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough on a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
- After rising, transfer he dough into a lightly floured surface and knead gently and divide the dough in 4 equal parts. Roll each part until it forms into a log. Cut each log into equal pieces.
- Place dough pieces in baking tray with baking sheet. It doesn't need to be wide apart. Cover the dough with bread crumbs. Cover with damp cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes. Pre-heat oven at 325 degrees F while dough is proving.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Best enjoyed while warm with butter.