- Serves 4
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 8 Ingredients
Potato Cakes are a tasty addition to almost every single meal we think! So simple, so quick and so crispy, this Potato Cake recipe needs to stay at the top of your list.
For breakfast or brunch, whip up a batch of Potato Cakes and add some bacon, avocado and a poached egg on top!
If you’re looking for a way to bulk out your burgers, add some Potato Cakes!
Serve them up to your toddlers as the perfect finger food – grabbing the little pieces of potato is great for fine motor skills too.
Or of course these Potato Cakes are perfect as a side dish to any BBQ, lunch or dinner. Simply use them in place of potato mash, a potato bake or baked potatoes.
When you’re making Potato Cakes, look for Desiree Potatoes. They grate beautifully and hold their shape when cooking.
Enjoy this recipe for Potato Cakes! It’s one of our favourite go to recipes.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 800g Desiree Potatoes (peeled)
- 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 150g Leg Ham (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Finely chopped chives
- 2 Eggs (Beaten)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- pinch Salt & Pepper
- Grate potatoes. Place potato in a sieve over a large bowl. Using the back of a large spoon, press to drain excess liquid.
- Combine flour, baking powder, ham and chives in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add egg and potato to flour mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons of mixture into pan. Flatten with a spatula. Repeat to make 4 cakes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack over a baking tray lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
Using a starchier variety of potato, such as the desiree, helps the lightly beaten eggs to bind these cakes.