- Serves 6
- 1.5 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 14 Ingredients
A basic quiche recipe which you can modify with your favourite ingredients.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 cup plain flour
- pinch salt
- pinch baking powder
- 55 grams butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3-4 rashers of bacon
- 1 cup cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- pinch salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg (or paprika too)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Make the pastry. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and then rub in the butter (it is supposed to look like breadcrumbs).
- Beat the egg yolk with the water and pour evenly over the flour. Use a knife or spatula to bring it together into a dough. Knead lightly and then chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- After the pastry has chilled roll it out on a floured board/bench to a size that will fit your quiche dish. Press the pastry into the greased dish and chill in the fridge while you are preparing the filling.
- Filling: cut the bacon rashers into bite size pieces and cook until crisp. You could also add onion or other fillings to the mix too. Layer over the bottom of the quiche dish. Put the cheese evenly over the top.
- Beat together the eggs (I also use the left over egg white from making the pastry) with the flour, pinches of salt/pepper/cayenne/nutmeg/paprika, cream and milk.
- Gently pour the egg mix over the bacon and cheese. Add the parsley.
- Cook for around 30 minutes at 180 degrees or until set.
Once you make the pastry you can add anything to the filling: tuna, feta and spinach, mushroom, leek, onion, cream cheese and ham.