- Difficulty Easy
Around since biblical times, delectable figs roast up a treat and take the cake in baking! Try this delicious Upside Down Fig Cake for tea time today…
Ingredients (Serves 8-10)
- 1/4 cup (60g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tbsp (20g) butter, melted
- 6 fresh figs, halved
- 1/2 cup (125g) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (180g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup (180g) Fig Yoghurt
- 11/2 cups (185g) self raising flour
- Extra Fig Yoghurt, to serve
Prep time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 45-55 mins
- Pre-heat the oven to 170˚C and grease and line a 22cm round cake tin.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the base of the tin and drizzle in the melted butter. Arrange the halved figs, cut side down, over the brown sugar and butter.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the softened butter and caster sugar until it is pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one, then mix in the vanilla essence and Fig Yoghurt until well combined. Use a spoon to fold the self raising flour in by hand, until just combined.
- Spoon the cake mixture over the figs and smooth it out evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Serve warm with extra Fig Yoghurt.