- Makes 10
- 60 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 4 Ingredients
These shortbread jamwiches (our version of jam drops) are a favourite with my kids for a lunchbox treat once or twice a week. We also sometimes make little mini shortbread jamwiches which are perfect for a cuppa.
Ingredients (makes 10 jamwiches (approx))
- 1 cup Icing Sugar (well sifted)
- 375g Butter
- 4 cups Plain Flour
- 2 - 3 tbsp Jam (your choice of flavours)
- Place the softened butter and the Icing Sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together with an electric mixer for 3 - 5 minutes to achieve a lovely soft creamy mixture.
- Reduce the speed of your mixer to low and very gradually add the plain flour. I do it half a cup at a time to prevent the flour flying everywhere when you add it in.
- The mixture will be quite stiff once you have added all the flour (this is OK).
- Place 1 tbsp of icing sugar into your sifter and cover your benchtop of baking sheet with icing sugar. Turn the dough mixture out onto the icing sugar and knead gently to bring it together into one firm ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough ball in cling wrap and place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle another tablespoon of icing sugar onto your working surface and roll out the dough to just under 1 cm thick approx. Using a round cutter, cut our your biscuits and place them onto baking sheets. These will be one half of your "jamwich".
- Place a teaspoon of jam onto each biscuit and then cut another biscuit and place on top. Lightly press together.
- Once all "jamwiches" have a bottom and a top, place into a pre-heated oven (180 degrees for non fan-forced/ 170 degrees for fan forced) and bake until biscuits are golden brown. This could take up to 25 minutes depending on your oven.
- When the biscuits first come out of the oven, some of the tops may have slipped a little off the bottoms - just carefully (the jam will be very hot) reposition the biscuits. As the jam cools, it will 'glue' them together.
You can use any flavour jam you like in these shortbread jamwiches - my littles love raspberry jam while hubby and I quite like Ginger Marmalade.