- Serves 10
- 3 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 8 Ingredients
This cake goes down a treat for those who love dates.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 4 cups Pitted dried dates
- 4 cups Cold water
- 2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of soda
- 175 grams Unstated butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 6 Eggs
- 3 cups Self raising flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a loaf pan. Combine dates & water in a large saucepan & bring to boil
- Remove from heat & stir in bicarbonate of soda. Allow to stand & cool for 15-25 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to food processor in two batches. Process until a smooth consistency & transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat butter, sugar & extract in an extra large bowl with an electric mixer on high until well combined.
- Add eggs, one an a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in flour & then fold in date mixture until well combined. Mixture will be runny.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan & bake for about 2-21/2 hours. Check after about 1 1/2 hours with a skewer.
- Cover loosely with foil during cooking if over-browning occurs.
- Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto wire rack.
Serve with caramel sauce & vanilla ice cream or dollop cream. This cake also freezes very well.