- Makes 12
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
This Sticky Date Pudding Recipe With Butterscotch Sauce is about to become your all time favourite go-to recipe!
We think we can all agree that there is nothing better than having a Sticky Date Pudding Recipe that everyone loves. Even better when it’s a Sticky Date Pudding Recipe that has nice simple ingredients, is quick to make and most importantly easy to make.
We love MoM Member Sally’s Sticky Date Pudding Recipe especially because she has taken the time to also share her recipe for a divine and silky butterscotch sauce. We think we could have that with ice cream any day of the week!
Thanks so much to Sally for sharing her recipe for Mini Sticky Date Puddings; there’s nothing better than knowing a recipe has been tried and tested by another Mum just like us. Our tummies are rumbling and we’re now looking in the pantry for all the ingredients. Which, we might add, are nice and simple so there’s every chance you’ve got exactly what you need to make this Sticky Date Pudding Recipe … right now!
A couple of tips from the MoM CookClub Team when making this Sticky Date Pudding Recipe …
When selecting dates for cooking (or eating), Bonappetit.com says …
“You want to make sure you buy dates that aren’t overly dried. The date skin should be a little translucent, with minimal rips and tears. The dates should be intact and separate, not mashed into a clump, and they should have a nice shine. There are a few different varieties of dates. Some may just be labeled “Dates,” while other have names like Dayri, Barhi, or Medjool. We’re big fans of Medjool dates, which are bigger and softer than your average date.”
We agree with all of that. We also know that Medjool dates can be quite a lot more expensive than other packaged dates. So we save these fresh dates for cheese platters or if we have a recipe that calls for soft, fresh date flesh on top as a garnish or feature fruit. For cooking or blending or protein ball recipes like these Salted Date Caramels, feel free to go with a dried date. You still want to aim for quality so where possible, choose organic dates if they are available.
So there you have it! The best ever Sticky Date Pudding Recipe … print out this recipe or bookmark it on your phone. You are going to want to use it sometime soon!
Ingredients (makes 12 sticky date puddings)
- 270 gram pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 60 gm butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 180 gm self raising flour
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pouring cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 60 gm butter
- Slice the dates into smaller chunks and place in a saucepan with water, over high heat.
- When it comes to a boil, add the baking soda and butter and remove from heat.
- Stir and set it aside to cool lightly. In this time the butter will melt. Stir again in between if necessary.
- In the mean time, mix together the self raising flour and brown sugar making sure there are no lumps.
- When the date mixture has lightly cooled, use the back of a fork to break up the mix or even use a food processor and pulse a few times to get a chunky mix.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat till well mixed.
- Add this date mixture to the flour and sugar mix and fold the ingredients together until just combined and you don't see traces of flour.
- Place 12 muffin cases in a muffin pan and pour the batter till 3/4th full.
- Place in the middle rack of an oven preheated at 180C and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Take the muffin tray out and let it cool for 5 minutes before transferring it on to a wire rack.
- For sauce: Combine butter, sugar and cream into saucepan. Warm on medium heat, stirring regularly until sauce is smooth and sugar has dissolved.
- Remove puddings from patty pans, pour over butterscotch sauce and serve warm with cream
If you're a fan of dates, here are a few more recipes you migh to try: All Bran Muffins with Dates & Walnuts - a recipe that you'll want to make over and over. Very easy too - melt the butter with all the wet ingredients, add the dry and spoon into patty tins. Perfect for a healthy start to the day with a coffee! Easy Date Slice - MoM Member recipe that's always a treat. Everyone loves to have a slice recipe that's easy and quick. Dairy and Nut Free Chocolate Bliss Balls - a perfect way to get the kids started on date based 'balls'.