- Serves 8
- 15 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 13 Ingredients
A delicious heart-warming winter soup that’ll have the whole family asking for more. Quick and easy and suitable to freeze as a healthy option for those nights you don’t feel like cooking. Warm up your insides and indulge your senses with this delicious soup.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 kilo Truss Tomatoes (without stalk)
- 200g Shortcut Bacon
- 500g Orange Sweet Potato
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic (in jar)
- 1/3 cup Plain Flour
- 3/4 cup (28g) Fresh Basil Shredded
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt-reduced Beef Stock Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 6 cups Water
- 1 x 400g Can White Beans Drained and Rinsed
Notes... Variation: For a vegetarian option, omit bacon and replace beef stock powder with 4 teaspoons salt-reduced vegetable stock powder. Suitable to be frozen. DIETITIAN’S TIP: Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that is even more after cooking. They also contain nutrients that have an antithrombotic and anti-inflammatory function, so they are an ideal heart health food.
- Remove stems from tomatoes, then score a cross at the base with a sharp knife. Place in boiling water for 30 seconds then remove. Peel off the skin then dice and leave to one side. Trim any fat from bacon, then dice.
- Peel sweet potatoes, then dice. In a large boiler that has been coated generously with cooking spray, sauté bacon and onion for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and sweet potatoes and toss together well. Cook a further 3 minutes. Add flour and combine well. Add all remaining ingredients except beans. Once boiled, reduce to a moderate/slow boil for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft. Roughly mash with a potato masher. Lastly add beans.
Recipe Tomato, basil and bacon soup
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.