Ingredients (serves 8)
- 440 g canned pineapple slices in juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 90g butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup self raising flour, sifted
- 6-8 glace cherries
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) round ring pan. Line base with baking paper.
- Drain pineapple juice, reserving 2 tbsp juice and put pineapple on a paper towel to completely dry.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over base of baking upside-down prepared pan. Arrange pineapple, just touching, over sugar and put a glacé cherry in the middle of pineapple.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and caster sugar for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add flour and reserved pineapple juice. Stir to combine. Spread mixture over pineapple. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve.