- Serves 8
- Makes 1
- 3.25 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 11 Ingredients
A decadent Christmas dessert. I garnished mine with chocolate sauce & strawberries however, choice is yours.
Ingredients (serves 8 | makes 1 Log)
- 100 gram Caster sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 120 grams Plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 200 grams Butter
- 100 mls Cooking cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Icing sugar
- 150 grams White chocolate
- 1 cup Cold strong coffee
- 60 grams Chocolate & hazelnuts grated
- 30 grams Flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / Gas 4. Grease a swiss roll tin with butter and line with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the sugar and the eggs in a bowl until white and fluffy. Sieve the flour and stir into the sugar and eggs. Add cinnamon. Pour into swiss roll tin and smooth out.
- Bake for 10 minutes then remove and immediately roll up the cake by grabbing the shorter edges of the greaseproof paper and rolling towards the other end. This way, the cake will keep its shape.
- For the buttercream: Add butter and icing sugar to a bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Heat 100ml of cream in a saucepan over low heat until warm (not hot). Remove from heat then add 150g white chocolate cut into chunks. Melt, stirring from time to time then add the butter-sugar mixture and stir well.
- Chill in a freezer for 5 minutes then beat until soft. Cover and refrigerate.
- Unroll the swiss roll and remove the greaseproof paper from the cake. Cut the edges of the cake (if you like), then brush the cake with strong coffee. Sprinkle over the grated hazelnut chocolate. Spread half of the buttercream over the sponge, leaving room at the edges - then roll up.
- Spread the remaining cream over the cake and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Decorate with flaked almonds.
There is only 25 minutes of actual cooking time involved.