- Serves 6
- Makes 1
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 15 Ingredients
Wombok Salad! Made even better with the addition of chicken!
But let’s start at the beginning.
What is a Wombok?
Wombok is also known as Chinese cabbage. Grown in China for over 6000 years, it has a mild flavour and a fresh, crunchy texture. A Wombok is probably the largest vegetable you will see in the supermarket or green grocer. A whole Wombok is usually the size of a very large rugby ball. Lots of green grocers will cut their Wombok cabbages in half and wrap in plastic. Half is plenty for most salads and it makes them easier to store in the refrigerator.
Interesting, the Wombok cabbage belongs to the same family as the cauliflower and broccoli. Although they don’t look much alike at all. They also live in the same family as regular cabbages (but this of course makes sense).
How do you cook it?
Most people prefer to serve Wombok in a salad. So not cooked at all. Although if you are wanting to bulk out a stir fry or fried rice, roughly chop and add at the very last minute. Add it too soon and you’ll have very soggy cabbage.
If you’re after a classic Wombok Salad, you might like to try this Member Recipe here. It’s become an all time favourite with everyone who tries it!
This salad is full of delicious Asian flavours in the sauce, the crunch of crunchy noodles and good quality protein from the chicken breast.
This Wombok Salad with Chicken is sure to become your new favourite. Perfect for when you need a big, yummy salad – family dinner, barbecues or those times when it’s your turn to take a salad.
If your family love even more crunch, add some toasted slivered Almonds, toasted Sesame Seeds or even a sprinkle of Chia Seeds to your Wombok Salad with Chicken – so good!
Ingredients (serves 6 | makes 1 Large Salad)
- 1/2 Large Wombok or Chinese Cabbage (or a full small wombok)
- 1/2 Orange, peeled, seeded and cut into segments
- 1/2 cup Red Grapes, halved and seeded if required
- 1 large Chicken Breast (or 2 half breasts)
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 6 Spring Onions, peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 packet Chang\\\'s Crunchy Noodles (either thick or thin)
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Fruity Taste
- 1 tbsp Light Soy or Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Lightly Toasted Nuts (Pine Nuts, Slivered Almonds) or Sesame Seeds or Chia Seeds
- 1/4 Yellow capsicum (or any colour really), finely sliced
- 1/4 cup Coriander, torn into small pieces
- Place the chicken stock along with 1/2 cup spring onions into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Gently lower in the chicken breast and reduce to a gentle boil. Allow to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile finely slice the Wombok (Chinese Cabbage) and place in a large bowl along with the spring onions, coriander and capsicum - mix well to combine.
- Mix the vinegar, caster sugar, soy/rice wine, sesame oil and olive oil together in a small bowl or cup and mix well until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the chicken breast from the stock once cooked through and allow to cool slightly. Then slice or tear the chicken into small pieces and allow to cool completely.
- Once the chicken is completely cooled and you are ready to serve, combine all the salad ingredients, the dressing and the chicken and mix well.
- Finally top with the crunchy noodles and the nuts/seeds if you are using and serve.
We used Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in this recipe and couldn't be more excited about the flavour this oil brings to the dish. Bertolli is the world’s no. 1 olive oil brand. Bertolli Organic is a range of extra virgin olive oils from organically grown olives. There are three flavour intensities so you can enjoy extra virgin with any dish; Gentile with a mellow, rounded flavour that goes well with white fish and other light flavours, Fruity with a fruity note that works well in dressings, marinades or for bread dipping and Robusto which pairs well with red meat or when roasting or BBQing. Bertolli Organic extra virgin olive oil contains just crushed olives, nothing else. Extra virgin olive oil is rich in antioxidants. The Bertolli Organic range carry the Australian Certified Organic logo. Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is available at Woolworths and selected IGA stores nationally.
Recipe Wombok Salad with Chicken
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.