A healthy dinner using zucchinis to make noodles instead of traditional pasta and beetroot in the marinara sauce. Yum!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (for the sauce)
- 1/2 large brown onion, finely chopped (for the sauce)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (for the sauce)
- 2 x 400g can crushed tomatoes (for the sauce)
- 1 x 250g pack of Love Beets cooked beets, finely chopped (for the sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste (for the sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (for the sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (for the sauce)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (for the sauce)
- 1/8 teaspoon red chilli flakes, or to taste (for the sauce)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for the noodles)
- 3 large zucchinis (for the noodles)
- To Taste salt and pepper (for the noodles)
- To make the sauce heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients except for the basil and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil and remove sauce from heat.
- To make the noodles rinse the zucchini in cold water and chop off the tips and tails. Using a spiralizer (either hand-held or free-standing), spiralize the zucchini into noodles.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium in a large saucepan.
- Add the zucchini noodles and sauté, stirring occasionally, until noodles are hot and reach desired “done-ness,” about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve zucchini noodles with marinara sauce, freshly chopped basil, and grated parmesan cheese. Note: You can leave the zucchini noodles raw if desired