I’ve just come back from a great holiday and I have to say that it can be difficult to keep on track with your health and fitness while you are on holidays. Easter holidays can be particularly difficult because of all the chocolate and Easter buns.
I’ve been tempted with four course dinners, the yummiest ice-cream, amazing buffet breakfasts, exotic new foods, pastries to die for and a whole range of other delicious foods.
I know a lot of people’s attitude is “don’t worry about it, you’re on holidays, enjoy yourself, go on a diet after Easter.”
While having that carefree attitude seems logical for some, I believe that you can still enjoy Easter without ruining your health.
Doing a few little things over Easter will help keep you and your family on track with your health. Here are some tips to try:
- Just because the food is there, doesn’t mean you have to eat it.
- If you do want to eat chocolate, then go for quality, not quantity.
- Ask grandparents and well meaning friends and relatives not to give your children too many Easter eggs.
- Remember even though chocolate is delicious, it is full of sugar, fat and is of no nutritional value.
- Keep Easter eggs out of sight and don’t let the kids (or you) eat them all day long.
- Drink lots of water.
- Make sure you have lots of healthy snacks available as well, including fruits and vegetables.
Another thing you can do is make sure you and your kids try and get outside over the Easter break and be active with your family. They will need to burn off all that extra energy. You could organise an Easter egg hunt. These are heaps of fun and they get the kids outside and being active.
If you’ve been eating chocolate too, try and do some activities that you can get involved with as well. The weather at this time of year is a little cooler – so it’s a great time to be going on picnics and bushwalks. Or try some backyard games with the kids or going for bike rides.
What do you do to try and keep your family healthy over Easter? I’d love to hear your ideas, and I’m sure some of the other mums on here would too! Leave your comments below.