Friday the 10th of February was going to be another normal day for me and my family of four. I was excited because my wedding dress was coming back from having alterations and could wait to see how much of a perfect fit it was, that morning I got a text from my mothers carer informing me that she was in hospital because she had a seizure, I replied with let me know how things go I’ll call soon. The dress came back and fitted perfectly as I expected but I still hadn’t heard anything from my mothers carer so decided to contact the hospital myself and they put me on the phone to my mothers doctor which I thought was a tas strange. She informed me that my mother was in a bad way and that I should get in there asap, so my husband to be contacted his mother as we do not drive. Heading in to the hospital my mind was thinking of so many things and it was a silent ride in there.

When I arrived I expected to see my mother to be fine but that wasn’t the case. She wasn’t responding to anything and once the doctor explained her condition more I knew I was going to be saying goodbye to my only living parent that day.

They had given her some medication to try and burst the clot that had caused her to have a catastrophic stroke. She got sent up to icu because of the medication she was given and I was given the choice of letting mum go naturally which could take weeks even months or give her morphine. I was given 24 hours to choose but my mum passed away at 9.35 that night. I was with her all that day and was talking to her keeping her updated on who was there and how I’d tried on my dress just everyday little things.

Her funeral was the Friday just gone and I didn’t want it to come, I didn’t want to say goodbye. I had lost my brother when I was 15, my father at 22 and now my mother at 27. Growing up they were all I had, I now have my own two children and I’m struggling to do things but have to be strong and get on with life. We have the stress of the funeral bill now and the cost of living so I’m now a bag of nerves and stress.

We got Married on Tuesday (Valentine’s day) as that’s what she wanted.
I know I can’t be down like this forever and will be as strong as I can be for my family.

We also have a gofund me account going if anyone would like to donate. I’m too sick to work and my partner is my carer so we struggle as it is.


Posted by Chelilly, 19th February 2017

Post your story
  • I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m glad you still continued with your wedding, although not how you had planned it, having a happy day will have helped.


  • Sounds like my year back in 2009. Everything went wrong, I was so down and depressed. I am happy to report I am back up and moving on. 2009 will never be forgotten tho


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating