The boy has been accused of raping an eight-year-old boy while armed with a weapon in Perth’s northern suburbs.
The accused boy was aged 10 at the time of the alleged attack. It did not happen at the school.
Police have charged him with sexual penetration of a child under 13 and threatening to kill, reports Daily Mail.
The incident happened back in December and parents at the boy’s school are outraged they are only finding out about it now.
About 50 parents held a meeting at the school on Monday morning after the alleged incident was raised on social media over the weekend.
A mother, known only as Caroline, said some parents had decided to pull their children from the school, while others were waiting to see what happened in court.
She said the victim did not attend the same school.
Caroline said the accused boy’s bail conditions required him to attend school and be supervised in the library during breaks.
‘One parent told me that her son had been playing with him at lunch time for the last three weeks,’ she told 6PR radio.
‘We just want the best for our children. We want our children to be safe, and of course this child needs help. He needs to be in the right care and if he is going to be at the school, he needs to be supervised at all times.’
Caroline said parents had a right to know if there was a sex offender among their children.
The school refused to comment to AAP.
The Department of Education said the accused boy was being ‘constantly supervised’ by two staff members while at school.
‘The school is doing everything reasonably possible to ensure the safety of all students,’ a spokesperson said.
UPDATE 3pm, 21 February 2017
Sentencing of the 10-year-old boy has been delayed because a magistrate is not sure the child has the capacity to understand the court process, reports Perth Now.
He pleaded guilty to one count of sexual penetration of a child and one count of threatening to kill.
The offender’s sentencing was delayed this morning after a psychologist raised capacity issues in a report to Perth Children’s Court.
Magistrate Andree-Marie Horrigan said in light of the report and the boy’s age she was not willing to deal with the matter without a further report on his fitness and capacity.
The case was adjourned until next month so a fitness to stand trial report could be prepared.
Do you think the school dealt with it fairly?
Share your comments below.
Image stock photoWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.