A three-year-old girl was trapped inside an automated portable toilet for over an hour in extreme heat until police forced the door open.
Hannah Hoyne, three, was with her nanny and two sisters, aged five and six, in Ward Park in Sydney’s Surry Hills when she became trapped in a toilet block just after 4pm as temperatures reached 32 degrees.
Her mother, Senta Hoyne, told Daily Mail Australia the family’s nanny was standing outside with the other two girls as Hannah used the toilet when the door closed, switched into its ‘out of service’ mode and locked.
Ms Hoyne said she rushed to the park as her nanny frantically tried to open the door and called the toilet’s contractor JCDecaux for help.
‘She was screaming quite loud for quite a long time before I arrived,’ Ms Hoyne said.
‘It was a hot day and she was stuck in a stinky toilet.’
Ms Hoyne said she became worried when the provider’s technician had not arrived after a while and claims they did not show up for over an hour.
The mum-of-three said the provider on the emergency line repeatedly told her a tech was almost on site and discouraged her from calling the police.
‘I was really disappointed that it wasn’t handled as an emergency,’ Ms Hoyne said.
‘There is an emergency number on the door and the person who answers it should know how to act.’
Ms Hoyne said she became increasingly worried about the ventilation inside the toilet and her frantic daughter so she called the police.
‘Within a few minutes they [the police] had arrived and used their baton to crack a hole in the door – Hannah was a bit happier when she could see and hear us better.
‘She was covered in urine when she came out,’ Ms Hoyne said, but said her daughter is pretty tough and feeling fine now.
A contractor technician showed up around 5.25pm – almost half an hour after police had broken Hannah free from the toilet.
‘I just wish that the person on the other end of the phone had told us the truth about how long a technician would be so we as her caregivers could make an informed choice,’ Ms Hoyne said.
Poor little poppet. It must have been quite frightening for her.
Have you experienced anything similar?
Share your comments below.
Image via Daily Mail