A heartbroken mum whose three-year-old son died from sudden infant death syndrome has revealed his last words to her.

Devastated Jasmine Shortland remembers the night a couple of weeks ago when her “bright and smiling” son Bryan-Andrew Lock was put to bed, never dreaming they could have the tragic last words they shared, reports The Mirror.

Now she says she is living every parent’s worst nightmare, saying: “I just can’t believe he’s gone.”

The 23-year-old mum of two says she has to keep everything together for the sake of her young family and partner Josh Westcott, 20.

Recalling the horrifying night when Bryan died from the condition, otherwise known as ‘cot-death’, she says: “At about 8.15am we were awoken by a loud banging on the front door.

“It was my step-dad David. He was crying, saying: ‘Bryan’s gone’.

“I just fell on the floor screaming and crying.”

Bryan and his brother had been staying at his grandma’s for a few days.

The brothers were staying with their nan because Jasmine thought Bryan could have mumps and didn’t want her youngest son, Ivan, who is just four months old, to become infected with the highly-contagious condition.

“He’d been to the doctor because his face was swollen and we were told it was suspected mumps,” Jasmine says.

The night before he died he said “Goodnight – I love you” to his mum on the phone.

“I just broke down when they told us he’d gone,” she says.

“Josh and I collapsed on the floor and I was just screaming.

“You just can’t explain to people what it feels like – I have to go on because of the other two, but it’s like a huge hole where something’s missing.”

In the UK, just under 300 babies die suddenly and unexpectedly every year.

Most SIDs deaths happen during the first six months of a baby’s life – so Bryan is a more unusual case.

Infants born prematurely or with a low birthweight are at greater risk. SIDS also tends to be slightly more common in baby boys.

Share your comments below.

Image via gofundme

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • hhmm ….So Bryan had a swollen face and they suspected mumps and then he passed away in his sleep? have a read that right? Yet they are calling it SID’s? I feel like I need more information with this story


  • I didn’t realise toddlers could die of SIDS. I am so deeply sorry for this family.


  • Oh my goodness, this is just so upsetting and horrific. My thoughts are with the family.


  • So sad. I can’t even imagine how terrible the parents and the all family may feel. :-(


  • This is so sad and tragic. I was surprised to hear toddlers could die of SIDS. I thought it was only babies. My thoughts are with this family.


  • Not SIDS if he was unwell. SIDS is only used after thorough autopsy excludes any underlying illness. Just died in his sleep poor little thing.


  • My heart goes out to this young family.


  • My deepest sympathy to the family. I was shocked to see he died from SIDS. It would have been so unexpected as I thought only babies suffered from the condition. RIP Bryan


  • My thoughts and prayers go out to the parents,very sad.


  • So tragic for the whole family.


  • My condolences to his family may his soul rest in peace


  • Cot death at age 3 sure is very rare !
    My thoughts & prayers go out to the family, they must be devastated !


  • So unusual for SIDS at 3 yo. Bet his illness would have helped this to happen. So sad for all the family.


  • It sounds as though It may not have been just Mumps.
    Would a blood test have shown the presence of mumps?


  • That is absolutely heartbreaking


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating