Tragic news just in, a father and his two sons have died in what is suspected to have been an accident involving a leaking generator in the shed they were working in.
The man in his 40s and his two sons aged 16 and 23 died on the way from their Broken Hill property, in the far west of New South Wales, to hospital.
Paramedics entered the backyard shed on Creedon Street just before 5pm Thursday, protected by breathing apparatus, The Advertiser reported.
The trio were understood to have been using a pump of some description when they became overwhelmed by fumes and passed out unconscious.
A NSW Ambulance spokesperson said each of the men went into cardiac arrest while being transported to hospital.
‘There was some sort of generator being used — they were overcome by the fumes,’ the FRNSW spokesman said.
Officers from Barrier Police District have established a crime scene at the premises, a spokesperson revealed.
‘It will be some time before officers can gain access safely to conduct a full investigation. Inquiries continue.’
How the tragedy occurred
Neighbour Margaret Graham said the man could smell fumes coming from the backyard of the property.
‘He went to check the generator because he could smell the petrol fumes. This is what his wife was telling me,’ Ms Graham told Sunrise.
‘She went down to help him but she couldn’t stand the smell of the petrol fumes and the sons have come home to help dad out and they all got trapped in the cellar.’
Paramedics who entered the workshop in a backyard shed on Creedon Street just before 4.30pm had to use breathing apparatus because of the toxic fumes from a malfunctioning generator.
A distraught wife and mother called the police when the men did not return from the shed.
‘When we arrived on scene we found a very distressed wife,’ NSW Ambulance Inspector Lisa Darley said.
‘We could see that there were three patients inside before we were overwhelmed by the fumes of them we had to wait for the NSW Fire and Rescue to come with their specialised equipment.
‘It was very difficult access getting into the shed… it was a very emotional and distressing scene and our paramedics crew went above and beyond and did everything they could to help all three patients,’ she said.
Our thoughts are with the family and all involved x
Share your comments below.