Hello!

24 Comments

Tragic news just in, a father and his two sons have died in what is suspected to have been an accident involving a leaking generator in the shed they were working in.

The man in his 40s and his two sons aged 16 and 23 died on the way from their Broken Hill property, in the far west of New South Wales, to hospital.

Paramedics entered the backyard shed on Creedon Street just before 5pm Thursday, protected by breathing apparatus, The Advertiser reported.

The trio were understood to have been using a pump of some description when they became overwhelmed by fumes and passed out unconscious.

A NSW Ambulance spokesperson said each of the men went into cardiac arrest while being transported to hospital.

‘There was some sort of generator being used — they were overcome by the fumes,’ the FRNSW spokesman said.

Officers from Barrier Police District have established a crime scene at the premises, a spokesperson revealed.

‘It will be some time before officers can gain access safely to conduct a full investigation. Inquiries continue.’

How the tragedy occurred

Neighbour Margaret Graham said the man could smell fumes coming from the backyard of the property.

‘He went to check the generator because he could smell the petrol fumes. This is what his wife was telling me,’ Ms Graham told Sunrise.

‘She went down to help him but she couldn’t stand the smell of the petrol fumes and the sons have come home to help dad out and they all got trapped in the cellar.’

Paramedics who entered the workshop in a backyard shed on Creedon Street just before 4.30pm had to use breathing apparatus because of the toxic fumes from a malfunctioning generator.

A distraught wife and mother called the police when the men did not return from the shed.

‘When we arrived on scene we found a very distressed wife,’ NSW Ambulance Inspector Lisa Darley said.

‘We could see that there were three patients inside before we were overwhelmed by the fumes of them we had to wait for the NSW Fire and Rescue to come with their specialised equipment.

‘It was very difficult access getting into the shed… it was a very emotional and distressing scene and our paramedics crew went above and beyond and did everything they could to help all three patients,’ she said.

Our thoughts are with the family and all involved x

Share your comments below.

  • What a tragic story how awful.

    Reply

  • Losing someone is hard let alone 3. Such a tragic accident to happen

    Reply

  • That’s just awful. This poor woman has lost so much in one day. My heart goes out to her and I hope she has support available to her.

    Reply

  • How devastating, I just can’t imagine this Mum & wife’s grief, I hope she has all the support she will need in the days and years to come. Rest peacefully to the brave boys and their much loved Dad.

    Reply

  • Such a tragic accident. I wish the mother/wife all the best

    Reply

  • Some people go through emotional agony in their lives. I hope the Mum has some support as she will need it.

    Reply

  • Why didn’t someone just turn the generator off? It seems it was pretty obvious there was an issue with it, judging by the fumes

    Reply

  • This is such a tragic event.

    Reply

  • I saw this on the news. Its just horrible.

    Reply

  • Can not imagine the pain the family must be feeling my heart goes out to them.

    Reply

  • So very sad, my prayers are with you.

    Reply

  • Oh no. Three people in the same family. :-( Poor woman, losing such a big part of her life. :-(

    Reply

  • How very sad – so many lives lst to one accident.

    Reply

  • They died heroes trying to save their Dad. Rip boys.

    Reply

  • This is so heartbreaking!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join