Sara from “Happiness is here“ explains why we really should be ditching the threat of being on Santa’s naughty or nice list.
The mum of four girls shares 20 reasons why we should scrap the list…
1. You can’t teach people to be nice by being mean to them.
2. Punishment isn’t effective, kind, or respectful.
3. Threatening people isn’t a nice thing to do.
4. It’s not in the spirit of Christmas.
5. It’s manipulative.
6. You don’t have to move an elf around every day.
7. You don’t have to think of more tricks to control children for the other 11 months of the year.
8. You’re not likely to follow through with it anyway, further damaging your credibility.
9. Obedience is not a great goal.
10. It kills intrinsic motivation.
11. It teaches children Christmas is all about presents.
12. Policing behaviour is exhausting.
13. If you don’t like being judged, you should stop judging children.
14. It’s not true.
15. Real gifts don’t come with expectations.
16. You can have an authentic relationship with your kids instead.
17. It damages connection.
18. Modeling is a more effective way to encourage appropriate behaviour.
19. Rewards are not a positive thing.
20. You want your children to know they are loved unconditionally.
Sara added, “The manipulation aspect of the Christmas season is something we can all do without. You don’t have to be mean at Christmas.”
She does make some good points.
Share your comments
Sara blogs at Happiness is here…
Read more from Sara on Facebook or on her blog.We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.