I made my own curtains because it was just too expensive to have them made professionally . We also have high ceilings so finding ready made curtains to fit our windows was not easy.
- Jacquard fabric
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Rod and nail pack
- Take your measurements:
1. Measure your window frame horizontally (from the outside of the frame to the outside of the other frame)
2. Do the same vertically.
- Calculate the measurements:
1. Horizontal measurement: double this number (this creates the fold look, increasing the number will increase the folded look). Then divide the number by 2 to create 2 curtains for the window.
2. Verticals measurement: add 20cm to your number (to allow for the height of the rod above the window).
3. Add 6cm to each measurement to allow for hemming.
- Cutting, pinning and sewing:
1. Cut your fabric to your measurement. You should have 2 pieces per window.
2. Fold 1 cm of the fabric in the 2cm for the hem line and pin.
3. Do this to both ends of the curtain and the bottom.
4. For the top of the curtain fold in 1cm then 10cm and pin.
5. Slide your pole through to ensure it fits and the curtain easily slides through.
6. Sew your hems and the loop created at the top of the curtain.
I used the straight sew function on my sewing machine.
- Fixing the curtain rod to the wall and hanging the curtain:
1. Use the instructions in your curtain rod pack to fix the rod to the wall above the window.
2. Slide both pieces of the curtain through the rod and hang.
Want other brilliant projects sent to you?
You might also like…
This project was posted by: