A great tutorial on how to make your own butterfly mobile to hang in the kids room or nursery.
- 3 sheets of light pink card / thin-ish plastic cellophane
- 3 sheets of dark pink card / thin-ish plastic cellophane
- 3 sheets of white card / thin-ish plastic cellophane
- 1 reel clear thread
- 2 lengths ribbon
- 1 needle
- 2 dowel pieces/ bamboo/ wood (for hanging frame)
- 1 hot glue
- 1 butterfly stamp cutter (if not you can either stamp/draw on and cut by making a template)
- Firstly we will make the frame to hang off the decorations. To do this you need to make your dowel/bamboo or wood into a cross shape and to fix - I would usually glue them together then use one of your pieces of ribbon to bind the centre and hide any glue. Glue the end down too.
- Now for the decorations. If you have a stamp - stamp out as many butterflies as you can from your pieces of paper/cellophane. If you don't have a stamp you can cut these out by hand - i would advise layering them up and cutting a few at a time.
- Now you have all your butterflies its time to stitch them up with the clear thread. Start with the bottom one by looping a stitch through the top of the butterfly.
- About 3 inches above the first butterfly stitch in the second (different colour this time) and keep going until you have about 4/5 on one length of cord.
- Repeat this step until all your butterflies are used up - vary the number of butterflies per cord to vary the length of the hanging.
- This is the time i usually hang up the frame. To do this use your second piece of ribbon. Tie it around the centre of the cross and hang up so you can still reach the frame ( i sometimes open a kitchen cupboard and hang it off the handle for this stage)
- Once your butterflies on cords are layed out you can start tying them to your hanging frame.
- Attach cord along both arms of your wooden cross frame, secure with a knot and then glue to fix in place.
- Allow glue to dry and hang up in whoever is having the new room decoration!
You can use other items for this mobile such as - sea shells, beads.
You can also vary shaped and colours - I found a shark stamp and made a blue one for my sons room too!
Want other brilliant projects sent to you?
You might also like…
This project was posted by: