Make beautiful storybook pendants for your next birthday party using thrifted books, some glue and some cheap jewellery supplies. You won’t need any fancy or expensive jewellery-making tools to make this simple craft project and you’ll have a beautiful keepsake to share with friends and family.
For ways to tie the knot in your twine use this link (or google ‘how to tie a necklace knot’).
- 1 vintage children's book - you can get these at any op shop!
- 5-10 clear mosaic tiles (round or square)
- 5-10 glue-on bales (bail)
- 5-10 lengths of bakers twine or leather rope
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 pot of clear-drying glue
- 1 paintbrush
- 1 superglue
- Cut out a selection of images larger than your glass tiles. A good way to do this is place the tile over the image and draw a circle or square about 1cm bigger than the tile, then cut it out.
- Paint the back of the glass tile with your clear-drying glue and then carefully place the tile over the part of the illustration you want to capture with the pendant.
- Let the glue dry for a good hour or so.
- Once dry, trim the edges of the paper with a good pair of small craft scissors. A ruler blade works well here too if you're very careful with the edges.
- Glue the bale onto the pendant with the superglue and let dry for another hour.
- Thread through your chosen necklace length and you're done! See the notes to find out good ways to tie the length of twine or leather.