Hello!

21 Comments

Aussie mum issues a warning for the IKEA glass top desk after hers spontaneously exploded, shattering to pieces.

NSW mum, Samantha Bailey, has shared how she was horrified when her IKEA desk exploded.

‘I have just had my IKEA glass top desk EXPLODE into 1000 pieces. Thank god no one was standing anywhere near it because it has exploded into a combination of shards and tempered glass pieces,’ she wrote on Facebook.

She continued, “My 10 year old son works at this desk and honestly I suspect he would have been very very badly injured. As it is, I have cut my hand attempting to pick up the pieces.

ikea desk

“Furthermore, I have just gotten off the phone from their customer service and told there is nothing they can do as I purchased it 3 years ago. Apparently 3 years is their cutoff for responsibility and as I have no proof of purchase (who keeps these receipts?) they are not interested.

She added, “I have another of these desks which will be going to the tip. PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING IN GLASS FROM IKEA. I am disgusted and furious.”

IKEA has since issued a statement, saying they take customer safety seriously.

‘Products at IKEA are designed and made of the highest quality and are subject to comprehensive safety checks,’ the statement reads. ‘It is not common that our glass products shatter, however glass is a fragile material.’

IKEA were in the news recently after an eighth child died from an incident involving an Ikea dresser and the fourth killed specifically by the Malm product. Read more HERE.

Share your comments below.

Via Facebook

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I looked at a glass top table on display at the Adelaide store. When I gently put my hand on it in the middle it was obvious that it wasn’t at all sturdy. Most of the Malm furniture displays products state on their tags that they should be anchored to a wall. Thing is the kits to do that are sold separately Maybe they should include them and increase the price to suit.

    Reply

  • How does ikea know what the desk was being used for? Was there too much weight on it? Had it been assembled correctly? Not good for the lady, but why do we always have to lay the blame on someone?

    Reply

  • My hubby is an engineer and he thinks the supports of the table should have been closer to support the weight that was on the table.

    Reply

  • Glass desks look cool, but I wouldn’t buy one for this very reason!

    Reply

  • This would have been scary, but I do have some sympathy for Ikea given the time frame involved.

    Reply

  • Glass top items are one of the things I hate around children or unstable adults. Ikea is within their rights as they do not know what you have done to the item. As for the chest of drawers Ikea will supply if you want hardware to attach chest of drawers to the wall.

    Reply

  • That’s really disgusting ikea. This lady and her family could of been seriously harmed and your reply is ‘ glass is a fragile material’ not good enough at all, and this shows how insignificant your customers really are.

    Reply

  • Hasn’t that already been a thing with glass shattering in the tops of outdoor tables? It’s put me off buying glasstop anything


    • I have seen the top of a glass coffee table shatter when everyone was sitting nearby – it was a heart starter!

    Reply

  • That is very scary. Who would expect this to happen. Glad no-one was injured.

    Reply

  • We have bought products from Ikea – but nothing with glass – not good for children. Thankfully we have not had any problems with their products.

    Reply

  • Wow. Blessings that no one was injured.

    Reply

  • Good on her for warning others of the dangers of this table.

    Reply

  • Saw this on A Current Affair, it would have been very scary and terrifying. Lucky no-one was anywhere near it when it exploded.

    Reply

  • This would be so harmful,it should be recalled.

    Reply

  • How scary !
    Thank God no-one was injured !

    Reply

  • A friend bought a glass splashback from ikea (it was on display in their store), a glazier refused to install it as it did not meet Australian safety standards. You need to be careful what you buy especially if it is glass

    Reply

  • This sounds very dangerous and should probably be looked into no matter what the time frame since purchase.

    Reply

  • Really I am shocked these kind of these could harm anyone , so dangerous.

    Reply

  • It would take the temperature shifting very quickly from hot to cold fairly constantly to get that sort of glass to just spontaneously shatter. Something for people who have glass tables to be aware of. Keep them away from a spot that gets direct sunlight and out of the direct flow of air from air conditioning.

    Reply

  • I saw it in Today Tonight this week. Very concerning. I really don’t like glass tables. I find them too dangerous.

    Reply

Post a comment

To post a review please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join