Aussie mum issues a warning for the IKEA glass top desk after hers spontaneously exploded, shattering to pieces.
NSW mum, Samantha Bailey, has shared how she was horrified when her IKEA desk exploded.
‘I have just had my IKEA glass top desk EXPLODE into 1000 pieces. Thank god no one was standing anywhere near it because it has exploded into a combination of shards and tempered glass pieces,’ she wrote on Facebook.
She continued, “My 10 year old son works at this desk and honestly I suspect he would have been very very badly injured. As it is, I have cut my hand attempting to pick up the pieces.
“Furthermore, I have just gotten off the phone from their customer service and told there is nothing they can do as I purchased it 3 years ago. Apparently 3 years is their cutoff for responsibility and as I have no proof of purchase (who keeps these receipts?) they are not interested.
She added, “I have another of these desks which will be going to the tip. PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING IN GLASS FROM IKEA. I am disgusted and furious.”
IKEA has since issued a statement, saying they take customer safety seriously.
‘Products at IKEA are designed and made of the highest quality and are subject to comprehensive safety checks,’ the statement reads. ‘It is not common that our glass products shatter, however glass is a fragile material.’
IKEA were in the news recently after an eighth child died from an incident involving an Ikea dresser and the fourth killed specifically by the Malm product. Read more HERE.
Share your comments below.