Hello!

27 Comments

A baby girl died when her mum’s pain relief patch became detached and stuck to her skin as they co-slept.

Little Amelia Cooper was just 15 months old when she was found lifeless in her parent’s bed, an inquest heard.

Distraught mother Sara Talbot asked paramedics: “I’ve killed my baby, haven’t I?”

The emergency services had been called but they believed Amelia was already dead, reports The Mirror.

A sticky substance and a mark resembling that of a previously attached plaster was found on her stomach, the inquest was told.

A paramedic also noticed Miss Talbot holding what looked like a fentanyl patch in her hand.

“This was stuck to her stomach,” she told medics.

“She (Amelia) must have rolled on it”.

The fentanyl opioid patch, which is stronger than morphine, was thought to have been stuck to her skin for a “period of time” allowing the pain relief drug to get into her body.

A toxicology report found the drug in Amelia’s blood, bile and hair samples, but not in the stomach content.

Pathologist Dr Debbie Cook told the hearing at Bodmin Magistrates Court: “There were no external injuries to contribute to the death, there were no natural disease and the relevant findings are the toxicological findings.

“The drug can cause a reduction in breathing, a reduction in blood pressure and in some cases seizures.

“When levels become high there will be a coma and in high levels such as this case, then it can be fatal.”

Dr Cook told the court that blood samples revealed a level of fentanyl in Amelia, which was within the range of an adult who dies of fentanyl toxicity.

“A patch was missing from her mother’s body, it is not clear how the patch came to be attached to Amelia.

“It is not clear how it accidentally came attached, especially seeing as she was wearing a pyjama top covering the area.

“It is not clear when, where or how the patch came to be attached to Amelia.”

Such a terrible tragedy. Definitely something to be aware of if you do use pain relief patches.

Share your comments below

Stock photo

  • The article doesn’t state if it was warm weather and the baby only had a nappy on. The ECG patches are hard enough to get off. All patches leave sticky goo on your skin. I find you have to wash it off. Pain patches are not designed to come off easily even when the pain relief is down to zero.

    Reply

  • These things are sticky, sticky, sticky — they even leave a residue when you peel them off. They did to my husband, anyway. I just can’t fathom how this happened?

    Reply

  • Scary! Always a great reminder to be cautious around our kids.

    Reply

  • Whilst it is terribly sad, the mother should not have been co-sleeping whilst on fentanyl patches or similar medications. I agree with another mum’s comments about reminding people of the dangers of co-sleeping and even the tiniest details that people need to consider before doing it. There will certainly be a bit of an inquiry into the circumstances I imagine.

    Reply

  • My grandma just got me to stick one of these patches to her. It’s quite like a really sticky plaster. Like once it’s on it’s not going anywhere and my gran keeps hers on for a week so they don’t just freely move around and stick elsewhere. It’s also hard to get them out of the packaging. So whilst I feel sorry for the families loss I happen to wonder how it actually occurred.

    Reply

  • How awful for that poor baby! Their little life taken far too soon and unnecessarily

    Reply

  • Heartbreaking story. I feel so very sad for the family

    Reply

  • I hope there is a thourough investigation. I’m not convinced it was so much of an accident

    Reply

  • I agree it sounds suss with pathologist saying babies levels were as high as a deadly level for adult. I have medical knowledge of these patches and the dose is a set amount per patch and release that amount over 3 days. Mum should definitely not have been co-sleeping when using the patch. Very suss how it came stuck to bubs stomach under pj’s as well even if it had fallen off the mum, very hard for the sticky side to end up on bubs tummy under clothing.
    But none the less a horrible tragedy and reminder of how careful parents need to be if choosing to cosleep.
    RIP little baby.

    Reply

  • How heartbreaking for this mother – would be unbearable – every sympathy.

    Reply

  • Very sad. They sound quite dangerous.

    Reply

  • So sad and a lot of unanswered questions.

    Reply

  • What an absolute tragedy for that mother to live with the guilt for life. So incredibly sad

    Reply

  • Such a tragedy for the family. Something you would never think would happen. RIP little one

    Reply

  • Poor Mum, this is a tragedy for sure.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join