Victorian toddler lucky to be alive after a common bug left her in a coma and fighting for her life.
Two-year-old Zahlia Adolfo was left fighting for her life after getting sick from a common bacteria known as Strep A, which causes sore throats and fevers.
Her mum Alana said she and her husband got sick, and then little Zahlia fell ill a few days later.
“We got better, but she kept going downhill,” Alana told yahoo 7.
Submitting your rating…
“She was on life support for 10 days and during the whole time no one could tell us whether she would make it,” Mrs Adolfo said.
For seven long weeks, Zahlia’s parents sat by her bedside until finally they saw her heart beat again.
Royal Children’s Hospital Associate Professor Mike Starr said most people carry the bacteria in their throat “without it doing anything”.
“Some of us get a sore throat or tonsillitis then some people can have serious life-threatening illness like Zahlia did,” he said.
Murdoch Children’s Research Institute Professor Andrew Steer said “you don’t get much more super than this super bug”. He added it affects people “so rapidly and makes them sick quickly”.
Last week we shared a Mums Warning of Life-Threatening Throat Infection After Thinking Her Son Had Croup – Read her story here
Read more – Six year old girl loses her leg after common throat infection
I too had a nasty experience with strep throat – read my story here.
Share your comments