Hello!

18 Comments

A Perth family have copped abuse after sharing a warning about a nasty surprise hiding in their bunch of grapes.

Anna-Lisa Elliott said she purchased the grapes at an IGA supermarket last week and gave them to her daughter to eat.

Her partner, Matt Honnor, then started pulling the bunch apart to put in school lunches and found a black spider nestled in the middle.

grapes4

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Nando’s Mild PERinaise 265g
Nando’s Mild PERinaise 265g

Submitting your rating…

“To think my step-daughter was eating from the same bunch just moments earlier is pretty disturbing, I just kept thinking, what if it was a redback?” he told the West Australian.

“It was horrible. What if she had swallowed it?”

The family said they believe it was a common house spider and took the grapes back the following day.

Mr Honnor posted a video of the bunch, showing the spider sitting in a web inside.

“This is a matter of public health and safety. My kids have been eating these straight out of the bag,” he wrote.

“Your (sic) lucky none of them have been bitten…. or ate it for that matter.”

He has since deleted his post after receiving negative backlash from people claiming they were being over protective parents.

Anna-Lisa said, “The way I see it we’re not over protective were responsible parents and that’s why our kids are respectful healthy kids.”

How is that over protective by warning people just to be aware? Fair warning in my opinion.

Share your comments below.

  • What is wrong with warning people about this. I think they did the right thing. From me I say “Thank you for letting us know”.

    Reply

  • Yes I agree also, a fair warning.

    Reply

  • People love to pull others down. Good on them for raising awareness. We’ve just bought a bag of grapes and I didn’t think to do that!

    Reply

  • Sounds like another case of keyboard warriors. In all honesty there was nothing wrong with what the father did- grapes with bugs, especially spiders, shouldn’t make it past quality control. I mean for goodness sake, here in Australia we pay dearly enough for our food and everything as it is, you’d think they would be able to afford to check the food a bit better before it gets sold!

    Reply

  • Um, good warning and awareness. I will definitely now be checking my grapes. I do tend to bring them home and tip them into a colander for rinsing before eating. This story freaks me out in a big way!! Same goes for the story I heard this week of a family finding a dead mouse at the bottom of their grapes bag. Enough to make a person go off grapes!!

    Reply

  • The grapes may have been stored in a Wholesale Produce Warehouse before the Supermarket ordered and received delivery. The spider could have been there when the grapes were picked. If the pallets/boxes they were packed in weren’t sealed the spider could have got in there while they were being transported.

    Reply

  • I’m wondering why they didn’t wash the grapes first before giving them to their child, that’s just basic 101 in common sense and the spider would have been found. Having failed to do that I wouldn’t have been game enough to make a post about it considering I hadn’t washed the grapes first, most people would reasonably expect comments on that front. Still, we’re all entitled to our opinion without dishing out abuse though. They did the right thing by bringing it to the attention of IGA, although that spider could have been picked up anywhere from the grower to when it was purchased.

    Reply

  • TBH, I am anarachnophobe- literally.

    Actually.

    100% Phobic.

    I scream the house down (when I’m able to intake enough air to do so) at the sight of a spider.

    Normally the best I can muster is a hyperventilated

    “Gigs.” (Hubbys nickname)

    *pause*

    “Gigs”

    *pause*

    “honey”

    …before I grab any nearby kids and run out the nearest exit, shaking and trying not to vomit (I actually wrote ‘Emergency Exit’, then deleted it, that is where my brain just naturally goes when I think of those THINGS).

    That being said, even I wouldn’t post a ‘warning’ like that. I mean, seriously?

    What is their warning, exactly?

    DONT BUY THIS FRUIT!! The chemicals the farmer used wasn’t strong enough to kill every SINGLE organism on it *horrified emoji*

    or

    NOW EVEN FRUIT ISNT SAFE!! Get to your bunker, they’ve changed the levels of residual chemical they spray on our fruit! Next they’ll try to feed us…ORGANIC… or maybe even fruit with a worm in it *vomit emoji*

    Come on… Warning? More like Whingeing, IMHO.

    *sigh*

    (Oh and, yes, sometimes even my kids and I eat the grapes straight out of the bag too. But, we do tend to walk a little on the wild side- sometimes we even jump on the trampoline without the safety mats!!)

    Reply

  • well at least they know they don’t use chemicals on their fruit!

    Reply

  • Just think it was a fair warning to the shop that their suppler and their own staff should be aware of what was found.

    Reply

  • I think sharing was the right thing to do, and agree with a previous comment basically saying if you don’t agree don’t comment. I have heard a lot and seen a lot from a friend having half a cockroach in a (very popular brand available at most supermarkets) chocolate cake, to my sister having a snail in her (also popular brand) peas and even a snail or spider (my memory fails me on this one) in a MAJOR fast food chains salad… A lot of people check, a lot don’t. Im somewhere in between but have nothing but thanks for this who do check and share and admiration for those who don’t!

    Reply

  • Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and posting something like this should not evoke backlash and negativity – if you don’t agree, say nothing ….. having said that, I always carefully check and wash any fruit or vegetables from the supermarket – not due just to fear of bugs, but also from germs possibly left on them after being manhandled.

    Reply

  • OMG I think I’m going to vomit. All the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up. Apart from that, don’t they wash their grapes before giving them to their children??

    Reply

  • Since when don’t we wash and check the fruits and veggies we buy ? These parents don’t take their responsibility well in my opinion and dare to say “This is a matter of public health and safety. My kids have been eating these straight out of the bag” ?!

    Reply

  • I don’t think they were overprotective, and I sometimes forget to wash grapes because the kids get excited and just start eating … that said they are a plant and sometimes there will be bugs and spiders on them! It’s not really Woolworths’ fault.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join