Hello!

7 Comments

Fifi Box has revealed the terrifying moment her two-year-old daughter was rushed to hospital.

Speaking about the issue on Tuesday night’s edition of The Project, Fifi said that her young daughter Trixie had swallowed three lithium batteries.

Fifi explained: ‘I’ll never forget the moment where the doctor came out with the X-Ray. I mean, I didn’t sleep for 24 hours, and we were so fortunate because they passed through to a point where doctors were confident she would pass them, but I felt so guilty.’

The single mum also added that she’s an incredibly diligent parent when it comes to ensuring Trixie is safe and everything ‘bad’ is out of reach in their home, before adding, ‘It happened to me. I think we can be very quick to judge parents.’

On Tuesday, CHOICE joined forces with The Parenthood and Kidsafe Queensland to call on the Federal Government to introduce stricter safety standards for all products containing button batteries.

When swallowed, the electrical current of the batteries can cause burns in the oesophagus. Two Australian children having previously lost their lives to the simple accident. 20 children are hospitalised per week nationwide after ingesting button batteries.

Safety tips

• If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 or go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink, and do not induce vomiting.
• Keep all disc battery operated devices out of sight and out of reach of children.
• Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure.
• Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.
• Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries, and how to keep their children safe.

Join the campaign to call for stricter safety standards for all products containing button batteries here: choice.com.au/buttonbatteries

Share your comments below.

Image via Instagram

  • That is incredibly scary since batteries are used aroud the home for many things – toys, remotes, torches….. how easily a child could get their hands on them

    Reply

  • So scary ! An important campaign indeed !!

    Reply

  • Far out, I didn’t realise they could burn the oesophagus. Very dangerous, thanks for highlighting the dangers.

    Reply

  • This would be a frightening accident.

    Reply

  • How terrifying! Such an important campaign. I’ve just signed it.

    Reply

  • Very scarey and just goes to show it can happen to anyone. I’m so glad Trixie is alright

    Reply

  • This is so terrifying and could have ended so badly. I’m so glad Trixie is okay. It is so important to make sure children can not get their hands on batteries.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join