A US mother is suing Etsy after her son died after sadly being strangled by a teething necklace purchased from the popular online store.

Deacon Morin was found unresponsive at a childcare centre on December 10, 2016. It is alleged he was strangled to death when the teething necklace he was wearing tightened and did not release as advertised.

The necklace was a gift to Deacon’s mother, Danielle, from a close friend who purchased it from Etsy. It was described as a Baltic amber teething necklace for babies, which is designed to alleviate pain caused by teething.

It was advertised to have a safety clasp that automatically releases should it be pulled on too hard, but in this case, it’s claimed the necklace failed to do so.

Morin’s attorney, John Carpenter, has filed a lawsuit against both Etsy and the seller, saying they are legally responsible for Deacon’s death.

However, Etsy says they are not at blame as their terms of purchase leave them free of any liability.

The terms of use on the website state: “The items in our marketplaces are produced, listed, and sold directly by independent sellers so Etsy cannot and does not make any warranties about their quality, safety, or even their legality. Any legal claim related to an item you purchase must be brought directly against the seller of the item. You release Etsy from any claims related to items sold through our services.”

An Etsy spokesperson added, “While we understand the desire to take action, Etsy is a platform and did not make or directly sell this item.

“We believe the allegations should be directed at the criminally-negligent day care providers or, if appropriate, the seller of the necklace. We do not represent the seller in any way.”

Carpenter says that as his client didn’t agree to these legal disclosures – due the necklace being a gift – they do not apply to her circumstance.

Our hearts ache for this mum. This should never have happened!

Share your comments below

  • I hope the seller tests the other necklaces out before selling. Putting anything around a child’s neck is a gamble, though. R.I.P. very sad.


  • So sad. They are so frequently used and recommended but I’ve always been too scared to use them.


  • How many media warnings has there been about teething necklaces over the last 6 – 7 years. A relative of mine had one on her baby who is now 7 years old. The first warning was issued when he was a baby.


  • This is so sad. But putting any necklace on a young child is dangerous.


  • this is a side event however you were always warned about putting things around a baby’s neck in the first place so I don’t exactly agree with these types of teething necklaces.


  • Oh my. So sad. Little one. Imagine how the friend that gifted the necklace feels. :-(
    Maybe Etsy is really not to blame but the manufacturer surely is.
    Poor family.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating