IKEA bosses have issued another warning after a boy was crushed by a set of drawers.
The company first issued a warning back in July after two children were killed when drawers and wardrobes fell on them.
Now another child has been killed in America, it’s the third time the Malm range has been involved in fatal tipping incidents.
In a report by journalist Tricia Nadolny, of The Philadelphia Inquirer, mum Janet McGee had reportedly put her 22-month-old son Ted down for a nap and was checking on him every 20 minutes.
When she opened the door and found his empty bed, she assumed he was hiding – until she spotted the six-drawer dresser on the floor, on top of her son.
Parents are being urged to make sure they use the fittings that come with the furniture to fix it to the wall.
A spokesman for IKEA said: “We at IKEA offer our deepest condolences to the McGee family.
“At IKEA, we believe children are the most important people in the world and the safety of our products is our highest priority.
“Upon being informed of this incident IKEA US immediately reported it to the authorities and an investigation is taking place.
“IKEA US has been advised that the product was not attached to the wall, which is an integral part of the products’ assembly instructions.”
He added: “We wish to emphasise that the best way to prevent tip-over of chests of drawers is to attach products to the wall with the included restraints and hardware per the assembly instructions.
“IKEA has included restraints with our chest of drawers for decades, and wall attachment is an integral part of the assembly instructions.”
A two-year-old boy from Pennsylvania, in America, died in February 2014 when a Malm chest fell on him and pinned him to a bed.
Three months later, a 23-month-old child from Washington was killed in when a three-drawer Malm chest tipped over.
This video which originated in the US highlights how shockingly easy it is for a toddler to be killed while they innocently play around the home.
Safety first! Always remember to strap your furniture securely to the wall so it can’t topple over on a child.
Share your comments below.