Mum slams Kmart after claiming her glass bathroom scales suddenly exploded near her five-year-old son.

Mum-of-one Kelly Maggs claims she was left traumatised afters sharp shards of glass apparently flew in all directions, shares 7 news.

The 25-year-old from Sydney, claims to have purchased the $15 scales from her local Kmart store in Parramatta, Sydney, in 2014, and said they had served her well for the last five years until this ‘shocking’ incident.

The mum said she had called her son Liam into the bathroom for a shower earlier this week, when the youngster allegedly ‘walked past’ the scales, which Kelly claims then ‘randomly exploded’ all over her bathroom floor – with shards even littering the nearby hallway.

“It was incredibly loud. It sounded like a someone throwing a glass onto the ground with force,” Kelly said.

“It scared us both so much. I didn’t know what was happening.

“My son was only standing about two inches away from them when they exploded. I was just so thankful he wasn’t hurt, he was really lucky.

“There were glass shards all around him. So, I just quickly picked him and popped him straight in the bath so he wouldn’t step on any sharp pieces.”

bathroom scale

Thankfully, Kelly and her son were not harmed in the ‘explosion’ – but the distressed mum is now urging Kmart to undertake a massive recall of the popular bathroom scales so that ‘nobody gets seriously injured’ in the future.

“You’d never expect that to happen. I just want to get the warning out there, as some others might not have been so lucky,” she said.

“That night I couldn’t sleep because I had so many dramatic thoughts running through my head.

“Like what if it had cut his ankle or sliced a major artery and he bled out. It’s so scary.”

Kelly said she reached out to Kmart who offered her a refund and replacement, however the mum said she would not be purchasing any more bathroom scales from the major Australian retailer.

A spokesperson for Kmart has said that these type of bathroom scales are safe, explaining that this ‘explosion’ will occur if the scales are ‘chipped or compromised’ in order to ‘reduce the risk of serious injury’.

It also appears another mum had a VERY similar experience recently as well.

Sydney mum, Joanne also shared a warning on Facebook saying,

“I just wanna take a moment to warn anyone with glass scales to please be careful!
I have had mine for over 5 years and never thought it would ever happen but it did!
My 5 year old son was walking to the toilet his foot was right next to the scale and it EXPLODED!
So I thought I would put a warning out to any ladies in here that may have glass scales to please be careful
ETA: these are Kmart scales.”

We also shared a similar story from a mum last year and many others commented they had experienced the same.

There was also a report in 2017 after a similar experience.

Do you think the product should be recalled?

Share your comments below.

  • I can’t believe they didn’t recall them! Seems a bit irresponsible to me.
    I don’t own scales apart from kitchen ones which look exactly like these but in a smaller version so I better be careful when using them.


  • Oh gosh, this is just horrific.


  • It sounds like they were designed this way on purpose?


  • This is so scary. I’m just glad that they were not injured.


  • WOW! An absolute recall is required. Good to know. I’ve never owned glass scales and certainly wouldn’t purchase in the future.


  • Have never had a problem with these sorts of scales – one is now about 10 yo and the other is 4 yo. Guess there is good and bad with everything, but haven’t had a problem.


  • I have these scales. I use them every Saturday morning, my toddler uses them every couple of days, my 106kg husband uses them once a fortnight. No issues for us.


  • Sounds to me I am not the only one to put on a few kilo’s over the years,Cheer’s Krusty.

    • Krusty : Are you commenting on this story about the Exploding Scales or have I missed something and you are commenting on another relevant story. If in deed you are making ..what I call a very cruel and stupid comment about this poor lady and her son, you are way out of line and I feel you do not belong on here. Once again if you are referring to the above story please leave your gutter comments to yourself …or even better just leave.


  • Wow, how dangerous ! We have a glass scale and so far no problem with it.


  • I’d hate for this to happen, very worrying


  • This is always my concern when buying glass scales.


  • I had some bathroom scales for about 40 years (no metric measurement) – not glass apart from the measurement screen. I passed them on to somebody else. As far as I know they are still being used. Obviously the glass isn’t strong enough to withstand the hear and humidity in the air.


  • Wow very scary and so dangerous!


  • We should know why this happened…. was it random or because of something like the scales got wetness, old battery, heavy use, humid room etc. And once that is known EVERYONE told about it…. Recall maybe but definitely warnings about the conditions that might lead to this sort of thing.


  • I might not buy glass scales next time


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating