Hello!

14 Comments

Mother shares horrific photos of injuries young daughter sustained after laundry pod exploded in her face.

Mum shares the horror eye injuries her four-year-old girl suffered when a laundry capsule burst in her face.

Ellise Collin, 24, says she accidentally dropped a pod on the floor while little Arliah-Joy was nearby.

It exploded, spraying the youngster in its contents — causing burns to her eyelid and the surrounding area, reports The Sun.

Ellise, from Stafford, said: “I was doing some washing and my daughter was behind me asking for a drink.

“I grabbed a tablet from the box to put in the washing machine and it slipped out my hand and bounced on the floor and popped and hit my daughters in the eye.

“I took her to hospital. They just said keep eye on it because she was in that much pain she wouldn’t let them open it or even touch it. She has only just gone back to nursery this week because she’s been too scared.”

She posted in her warning on Facebook.

eye injury
She shared: “I can’t believe the nasty chemicals that are in the three-in-one pods have done.

“We are lucky it’s done no damage to the inside of her eye and she can still see. I was really angry about what happened.
“She has been through a lot of pain.

“You can just see white under her eye where the burn has come away. She still tells me it hurts if she knocks it or touches it.”

CHOICE shared in the 18 months leading up to 2013, there were 85 calls made to Australian poison hotlines relating to accidents involving children and exposure to laundry capsules.

In 2013 the ACCC warned consumers about liquid laundry detergent capsule injuries.

“Children who have either ingested these laundry capsules or have been exposed to them have experienced symptoms such as severe skin irritations, coughing, drowsiness, vomiting and even temporary blindness,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

The ACCC recommends:
•Keep laundry capsules out of sight and reach of children, preferably in cupboards and storage compartments that they can’t reach, or are lockable.
•Contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 if you believe your child has symptoms of being exposed to household chemicals.
•If laundry detergent of capsules are swallowed by your child, rinse as much of the detergent as possible from their mouth and seek immediate medical advice.
•If the product comes in contact with your child’s eyes, immediately flush their eyes with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical advice.
•Ensure your hands are dry before using a laundry capsule and wash and dry your hands thoroughly after use.

If your child has been exposed to household chemicals, such as laundry detergent products, immediately contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.

Doctors are urging parents not to buy or use liquid washing capsules and to buy washing powder instead. The warning comes after soaring numbers of children being hospitalised after ingesting gel tabs. Read more on that here.

A UK mum posted a photo of her son on Facebook as a warning to other parents to make sure their laundry pods are out of reach of children at all times. Read her story HERE.

Share your comments below

 

 

  • Haven’t seen these laundry pods and after this story I won’t be looking for them. I’ll stick to my powder – so much safer.

    Reply

  • Some pods have liquid in them, others have powder. The little girl is so fortunate that it didn’t actually go into her eye or somebody would have had to hold her while her eye was flushed with water.

    Reply

  • I had no idea they were so dangerous. Poor little darling.

    Reply

  • Ugh, poor kid. Glad she’s ok.

    Reply

  • Poor little darling. I didn’t realise the pods could be so dangerous?

    Reply

  • I didn’t realise pods could be so dangerous. Poor little girl.

    Reply

  • Poor girl! These pods are so dangerous!

    Reply

  • That is so scary. Poor little dear! I use pods all the time because they can be slipped in with the clothes, shall definitely pay more attention when using now.


    • Community warning and stories like this are helpful for everyone that uses these pods – so important to be warned.

    Reply

  • Poor little cutie hope she gets better soon

    Reply

  • Scary for all – glad her vision is going to be ok.

    Reply

  • Aw bless, poor wee girl !
    I don’t like to buy these pods. Even my 8 year old thinks they’re are one of those little Squishies, which are a big trend lately, and wants to squeeze them.

    Reply

  • Oh, what a horrific damage. Poor little girl. She must have felt so much pain!!

    Reply

  • These are quite dangerous – I won’t buy them.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join