Hello!

12 Comments

Mum shares her story to raise awareness on product safety, specially the ones that are found in our homes.

Carizza Bordeos, a mum of two, is warning parents to check the model of their Breville cookers after hers exploded leaving her with second-degree burns to ten percent of her body.

Carizza was cooking beef in her Breville Fast and Slow Cooker BPR200 when it exploded fat and boiling water across her arm and chin.

The 28-year-old had no idea it could be dangerous. She later discovered the product had been recalled in 2015.

“I want to spread the word about this faulty product,” she told Kidspot.

“I believe that their are more mums out there who own the same product and not aware of what has happened to me.”

As she was vacuuming about a metre away from her cooker it exploded hot water over her while on the pressure cooker setting.

“Hot water was coming out of the lid, but the lid was still on it, but it was splashing hot water.”

“It’s been working OK for us for years, I never overfill it, I always follow the instructions and always use the pressure cooker setting.”

Carizza followed up the Kidspot story with further detail on her own Facebook page.

“While I do not have to relive the horrors of this unfortunate accident, I refuse to stay quiet and wait until something horrific like this happen again.

Sometimes putting it out there for everyone to see is an option. In this day and age, the most likely or common victim of household appliances are Mums. Mums who rely on small domestic appliances that will save them time and make their days manageable and easier.. Mums who can’t afford to be sick and injured because who else will run their household like its supposed to, if something happens to them? Then there is this beady – eyed monster called MUMMY GUILT. When Mum is sick or in some kind of pain, does she stop working?

Let me also use this opportunity to clarify a few things:
1. I MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT OPEN THE COOKER WHILE IT WAS STILL ON OPERATION.
2. IT IS ELECTRIC, SO ITS NOT THE PRESSURE COOKER that goes over a stove.
3. I was not playing or tinkering it, IN FACT I WAS VACUUMING A SPOT IN THE KITCHEN/LAUNDRY THAT WAS AT LEAST A METRE AWAY FROM WHERE THE COOKER WAS PLUGGED IN when it exploded boiling water and beef fat on me, ceilings and walls.

I am looking at this unfortunate event as an outlet to raise awareness on product safety, specially the ones that are found in our homes. Please check your household if you have the same model/brand or if you simply have doubts on the operation of your home appliances, please contact the manufacturer.”

BREVILLE RECALL states, On October 21, 2015 Breville Pty Ltd issued a recall on the Breville Fast Slow Cooker BPR200 white lid gasket from units with production date codes 1034 through to 1511.  Consumers who have the Fast Slow Cooker in their possession should contact Breville customer service to arrange for a replacement gasket kit to be sent to them, free of charge.

Please call 1300 727 424 or email recall@breville.com.au for further assistance. See below for information on product identification, a Safety, Cleaning and Care video, and the current Instruction Manual for the BPR200.

breville-recall

Safety, Cleaning & Care of your Breville Pressure Cooker video below.

Share your comments below.

Image via Facebook

  • I am sorry to hear what has happened to you. Get well soon.

    Reply

  • This really is a bizarre and unfortunate event. Whilst this product might have been recalled, that only helps if everyone is aware of it. I hope this woman recovers well and thank you for sharing your experience.

    Reply

  • Awful to have happened. I am so wary about any pressure cooking appliance.

    Reply

  • How awful!

    Reply

  • How dangerous !
    Thanks for making us aware !!
    Hope your scars heal and fade in time and that you’re not limited in the mobility of your arms & shoulders ?!

    Reply

  • Pressure Cookers and Slow Cookers are two entirely different products.
    The Pressure cookers cook food very quickly and need adjusting when they come to pressure the same as a saucepan on a hotplate does. Occasionally a seal can perish. Food that escapes usually goes straight up in the air, then come down, probably after making a mess on the ceiling. Most Slow Cookers have lids that may lift a little if the food is near the top and is simmering or boiling.

    Reply

  • oh dear that does look very painful – it’s bad enough just to get a little burn.

    I am thankful that she is making others aware of what happened so they can return theirs or at least be extra cautious especially if it is used in a room where kids access.

    I hope that the people who are blaming her get off their high horses and stop it

    Reply

  • Poor lady. She must have gone through a lot of pain.

    Reply

  • That’s scary, I have a slow cooker at home and will definitely be checking that it’s not one of those faulty ones. I hope she gets compensation poor thing and that she doesn’t scar!

    Reply

  • Oh my! So scary! She was injured very badly!!

    Reply

  • How terrible. Not everyone sees product recalls. I didn’t know about this one (not that I have one), so perhaps they need a better way of getting back to their consumers.

    Reply

  • Such a horrible experience to go through you would never expect.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join