A woman has shared a heartbreaking warning about the dangers of young babies wearing headbands.

In a since-deleted post the woman took to Facebook, to share her friend’s devastating story, shared Daily Mail.

She revealed that the mother had left her 14-week old daughter sleeping in her carry cot, wearing a headband.

When she returned just thirty minutes later after taking a shower, she discovered that the little girl had died from asphyxiation.

Taking to Facebook she wrote: ‘All mums please be aware, putting this warning out for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them.

‘My friend has sadly just lost her 14 week old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk.

‘When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving.. she had passed away.

‘Post mortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation. She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have.’

‘She had left baby Holly sleeping for only 30 minutes while she showered and changed and forgot to remove her headband and is utterly devastated.’

The post attracted almost 90,000 shares as well as 10,000 reactions from shocked parents.

fb post

Just heartbreaking. Our thoughts are with the family.

Read more:


  • A good reminder to all mum’s…this poor lady!

    Reply


  • That’s so sad! The poor woman. I don’t think you can judge mums who make mistakes like this. It can easy happen to anyone and you’d never forgive yourself :(

    Reply


  • You shouldn’t leave babies unattended always take them with you though a very sad story I’m really sick of hearing I only turned my head for a moment

    Reply


  • You should never leave a baby sleeping alone with anything like that on. For that matter if bub is in a carry cot then just bring it into the bathroom with you.

    Reply


  • Devastating news and hopefully getting this story public saves someone else.

    Reply


  • Such a sad sad thing to happen from a moment of forgetfulness

    Reply


  • This is so very sad for everyone involved. I think that there should be more warnings for such things and a ban on headbands and other hair accessories for young babies.

    Reply


  • It is a wonder that headbands have not been banned given babies have died.

    Reply


  • Such a tragic loss of a tiny life.

    There has been so many warnings about baby’s head bands. Many would not be aware of previous ones. Why haven’t they been banned???

    Reply


  • What a terrible thing to happen. I feel so sorry for the family esp. the mother who was looking after the baby.

    Reply


  • I cannot imagine how devastated this family must be. So very sad.

    Reply


  • A heartbreaking story and its brave of her to post and warn others

    Reply


  • This is eye opening

    Reply


  • That poor mother will never forgive herself! My girl was born with a full head of hair and I was too worried about putting anything in her hair. Hopefully she finds some peach and forgives herself in time

    Reply


  • The most innocuous of things turns out to result is something so tragic. Poor poor bubba, poor Mumma.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

Loading articles…
↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join