Hello!

10 Comments

Mum issues warning after Samsung device suddenly started smoking before bursting into flames with a loud bang.

Lucy Pinder, 28, was in bed next to her three-year-old son Joseph with her phone charging on the floor.

“I woke up to a massive bang and the room was filled with thick smoke.

“Joseph was screaming and the smell of burning was unreal,” she told The Sun.

“We were so shaken up. If the phone had been charging under my pillow instead of on the floor, we would have been seriously burned.”

SUNNEWS_SWNS_EXPLO_2747080a SUNNEWS_SWNS_EXPLO_2747085a

“Now I’m terrified of leaving my phone on charge overnight.”

The phone was sent for diagnostics but the factory couldn’t find out what caused the explosion.

She was sent a new phone and £1200 ($2270 au) to replace the scorched furniture.

She added: “I want to warn people how dangerous it can be leaving your phone to charge overnight.”

“There are no known safety issues with Galaxy S6 devices,” a Samsung spokesperson told The Sun.

“Customer damage is a potential cause of this incident but as the results of our internal investigation were inconclusive, Samsung has offered the customer a replacement and compensation as a gesture of our goodwill.”

Safety guidelines for phone chargers

The Australian Mobile Telecommunications Assoc (AMTA) have said
Given the billions of mobile phone batteries and chargers in use around the world, there have been very few reports of injuries caused by malfunctions of genuine handset batteries or wall chargers.

Unfortunately, in the few cases where batteries and chargers have heated up, exploded, caught fire or electrocuted people, the cause is often a poor quality, uncertified or counterfeit battery or charger.

Fake batteries and chargers are often supplied with black market phones and are also sold as after-market products, found on auction websites or in unregistered stores and markets usually sold at a significantly lower price than genuine products.

There have also been rare circumstances in which genuine products have malfunctioned, however in Australia, there have been no confirmed cases of injury caused by a mobile phone battery overheating and fire authorities have no records of any fires caused by genuine mobile phone chargers.

Share your comments below

Images via The Sun

  • I have a Samsung & NEVER leave it on charge overnight.
    This is a concern we really shouldn’t have to have as accidents like this shouldn’t occur but unfortunately they do.
    Luckily no-one was hurt in this instance!
    Thank you for sharing your story.

    Reply

  • Oh my god, that’s shocking! Here comes a big law suit for samsung!! I hope you do well!!

    Reply

  • Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus and it doesn’t overheat when I charge it. I would be quite worried if it happened indeed.

    Reply

  • My Samsung S6 overheats so much when it’s charging I even called samsung to report it and they just claimed they haven’t heard of any of them doing it. I call Bull Dust!!


    • Yeah indeed! Typical that Samsung’s response to the exploding phone was to carefully avoid accepting responsibility and blame the customer for possible misuse.

    Reply

  • My partners samsung galaxy s6 edge gets insanely hot even when not charging. That hot at times that you can’t hold it. Samsung claim it is normal. We’ve even got photos with a thermometer on it

    Reply

  • I occasionally charge my phone overnight if I know it is flat.
    However mine takes awhile to fully recharge and I always get up during the night to go to the toilet and check it then. I charge mine in a power point in the kitchen.

    Reply

  • I thought it was common knowledge to never leave a phone charging over night…
    once it reaches 100% unplug it, always.
    and leaving your charger plugged in can damage it because it still has power running through it.
    my partner ruined his charger cord by forgetting to flick the switch off, it went from white to orange/brown, then the plastic around the wire cord split.

    Reply

  • I would love to know why that happened, because it’s really scary. I’ve got a Samsung too, a very cheap model. I never charge it in the night. I wouldn’t surely charge it under the pillow. Strange that the factory couldn’t find out where the problem was.

    Reply

  • Wow very lucky nobody was injured, didn’t realise they were so dangerous.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join