Hello!

7 Comments

Sydney boy saved his young brother’s life when he started turning blue from an allergic reaction.

Nine year old Zach, used the skills he learned at Scouts to save his little brother.

7 News reports, the brave act has even been recognised by one Australia’s top soccer players, Tim Cahill, who praised the young boy who did his best to save his brother.

A chocolate treat set-off an allergic reaction in five-year-old Ben Redwood.

The nut allergy was potentially fatal, sending Ben into an anaphylactic shock as his mother Jenny Redwood started racing him to hospital.

Ben was in the backseat with his older brother Zach when he started turning blue.

alergy_art4

“Zach was saying he’s going blue mum I was saying ‘Oh my god we’re going to lose him,'” Jenny told 7 News.

“His lips were turning blue, his toes were a funny shape, his eyes turned back and he had snot all over himself.” said Zach.

Jenny recalls how she felt “really helpless… scared”, but her son knew exactly what to do.

“I just took my seatbelt off and I just breathed into him,” Zach said.

“I learned it at Scouts… they teached us. We got a fake doll dummy and we had to breathe into their mouth,” he said.

The quick-think act of mouth-to-mouth saved young Ben’s life and Socceroo Tim Cahill even took his hat off to the young hero.

“Just want to say a big hello first of all and I heard about the amazing story about the way you helped save your brothers life,” Cahill said in a video message to the young Scout.

Share your comments below.

Images via 7 News.

  • That is awesome! Good old scouts still going strong and doing extremely well!

    Reply

  • What a fantastic story and good on him!!!

    Reply

  • Organisations like Scouts are fantastic at preparing children for emergencies, and to think independently. First aid is one skill that everyone needs to learn. Well done Zach, you are a hero.

    Reply

  • I reckon food that have potential allergens should have it printed in big bold letters. If the 5 y.o. is at school the teacher and other staff should be notified. He should also have a medical bracelet labelled with his allergies. If this problem is already known, he should also have an epi-pen in his school bag. It is extremely fortunately the little boy’s airway didn’t close completely or mouth to mouth wouldn’t have worked. It proves Scouts teach lifesaving first aid.

    Reply

  • Such a wonderful ending! Zach would have helped Ben’s lungs get enough oxygen until doctors could give him epinephrine. Beautiful.

    Reply

  • Such an important skill that Zach learned! What would have happened otherwise?

    Reply

  • Lke sr

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join